News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Something to consider when installing a stereo system

Started by Chuck Jones, April 18, 2013, 07:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Jones

I recently had a Pioneer AM/FM/CD/Blue Tooth system installed. Because of space considerations and existing gauges, marine radio and wiring, I decided not to cut into the vertical wall in front of the helm, but to use an uprite (vertical) mount that displayed the face of the unit straight up under the steering wheel.   It worked great inside the enclosed shop, but when I got it out on the water and in the sunlight, the LED readout wouldn't illuminate.  I couldn't see what station or mode (AM/FM/CD) I was in, and couldn't navigate thru the menu.  I called the installer and he tried to guide me thru a self-help protocol, but not being able to see any visible readout resulted in me hauling the boat out and taking it all the way back to the shop.  Needless to say I was "miffed".

It turns out that the LED face has to be in a certain plane...you have to be looking at it almost straight on, and not from an angle.  Since it was mounted in an uprite box under the steering wheel, I had to look at it thru the wheel spokes from an angle.  This resulted in my not being able to see any illuminated dial...and made me believe that the unit was defective.

After hauling it all the way back to the shop, they tore it out and put in a new one...same result till they discovered that it was the the angle of viewing that created the problem.  This is much the same problem you might encounter if you have an LCD TV...and try to view it from the side rather than straight on...this problem doesn't exist with the plasma units.

I offer this as a suggestion for you who might be considering the installation of a stereo system that has the LED screen on it.  Make sure it's mounted so you can look at it from the proper angle.  The solution for my problem is to put a shim under the uprite mounting box so the face of the unit is tipped out towards me about two inches so that when I look down at it, it changes the viewing angle and makes the readout visible.
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

Markshoreline

Same thing for polarized sunglasses- they can make LED screens, such as fish finders and chart plotters hard to read.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

allpauwork

I only listen to channel 16 anyway when out on my boats.  Sorry, but I get on the water for peace and fishing.

Chuck Jones

No apology needed.  It's well established that a number of folks enjoy the peace, quiet, and serenity of being out on the water with just the sound of the wind, waves, and hopefully a screaming reel.  There's merit to both.

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

wedocq

It takes me 2 hours to get to the tuna grounds, so having a stereo is a must! Thx for the advice.
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

StreamFixer

Geez Chuck....  easy enough fix.  Get a plasma face instead of LED   :hoboy:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Salmon King

Chuck...Have you discovered which genre of music different species of fish prefer?

I have no doubt they can hear the music though the hull, but which type will turn on the bite of the Salmon???
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

woody

croaker stroker

They like....Country Joe and.......well.......you know...... :hoboy:

....and it's one...two...three, what are we fishin' for?  ...Don't ask me, I don't give a d@?!, where'd I put my GoPro cam?

And it's six...seven...eight..open up the pearly gates.  There ain't no time to wonder why...those fish are all going to die.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

Ha!  I love that song but haven't heard it in decades!!!

GoodDays

Ha ha ha .. got it on my phone !    kids give me heck everytime it comes on....

The Fish like Chuck Buser... You PNW guys might know his music ? I have watched chucks crew playing music and catching fish in Rivers Inlet.. Great guy, Great music !!

www.chuckbusermusic.com

GoodDays Greg

Markshoreline

Thanks, Greg!

Never heard of Chuck until tonight, but great music and fun to listen to!

Chuck Jones

Actually, going thru a box of old CDs I found one from Steppenwolf...played it and never had a bite all day.  Maybe that says something....Born to be Wild was a toe tapper.  Any "Nam" guys on this forum?

And S/Fixer....I did get my face plastered that day, and still couldn't catch anything.  Maybe used the wrong genre of spirits.

Insofar as the genre goes, I've tried Opera, Blues, Waylon Jennings, Chuck Berry, and Bluegrass...there doesn't seem to be a preference by species.  Perhaps you folks could try this on the PNW fish and let me know how it goes.

Croaker:  You definitely have a flair for the poetry of music...the words work well into song.

croaker stroker

My Grandkids don't like me to sing.

" Don't sing PaPa! You don't know the words, and you can't sing good !!"

I was singing "Sweet Caroline" this morning, and got complaints from them all morning.

That clip AmazingGrace posted brought a tear to my eye.

'Nam vet....yes.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

CS,
If your grandkids are bad you could sing your entire Neil Diamond repertoire to them!

Reminds me of a trip to Sekiu near Neah Bay (Washington) with a buddy about 25 years ago.  After a full day of fishing we stopped into a local bar that had an entertainer who did Neil Diamond impersonation covers, pitifully.  At the break he came up to the bar to chat us up for free drinks and let us know that he does Neil Diamond better than Neil Diamond does.  We both shuddered....