News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Magnetic Compass interference

Started by StreamFixer, April 07, 2013, 07:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StreamFixer

I installed a new wiper in my old 17 and lost the use of my magnetic compass (strong magnetic field in new wiper motor captured it).  I found some metal 'foil' to wrap the motor and all was well.

The point of this post is that I have enough of that degausing material left to do a second motor.  Let me know if you need it.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Markshoreline

Russ I purchased some of that shielding material you mentioned a couple of years ago and it works just fine.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

GregE

Good tip and offer- tracking this one
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

fishorcrab

Russ,

Where did you find the mu metal?  Was it foil or tape?

Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

StreamFixer

Found the material on-line.  While they call it a 'foil', it is more of a thin metal.  You need to use snips to cut it and if you give it a chance, it will cut you back (I know that for a fact   :doh: ).

I first wrapped the wiper motor in the thinner material then went in the opposite direction with the heavier.  Works really well, at least the compass does now.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu