News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Question regaiding how to install Airmar P79 shoot thru hull transducer?

Started by ranger17, April 05, 2013, 02:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranger17

1 where should I install it ? best location ? I have removed fuel tank and plan to cut a hole to install access panel then install a transducer there.
2 how do I mount the base? using glue, screw, silicon or slow sure plastic welder? the base doesn't have hole for screw.
3 I read some articles saying that transducer can't operate in dry condition is that means I have to fill the base with some kind of liquid such as Marine oil, oil bath before installing the transducer?

Thanks,

ranger17

DSCS

If you don't have the install instructions that came with the transducer you can get them here.

http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads/InstallGuide/17-217-01.pdf

1 where should I install it ? best location ? I have removed fuel tank and plan to cut a hole to install access panel then install a transducer there.
In the above instructions Airmar recommends slightly off centerline. Mine works find right on the centerline.

2 how do I mount the base? using glue, screw, silicon or slow sure plastic welder? the base doesn't have hole for screw.
In the above instructions Airmar recommends silicon adhesive.

3 I read some articles saying that transducer can't operate in dry condition is that means I have to fill the base with some kind of liquid such as Marine oil, oil bath before installing the transducer?
In the above instructions Airmar recommends 71ml (2.4 fl. oz.)of propylene glycol

If all else fails follow the instructions.  :whistle:
We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

ranger17

What kind of propylene glycol that you used?
Based Coolant?
U.S.P ?

ranger17

Yachter Yat

Hi Ranger:  Airmar has pretty good instructions but I wouldn't use regular GE Silicone for setting.  Use this instead: http://boatlife.com/life-seal.html   Note:  LifeSEAL *not* LifeCAULK.  Also, I did a similar installation years ago in another boat and used mineral oil instead of antifreeze.....worked great.  Another thing I've done to help insure the transducer is shooting straight down is to level the hull on the trailer before installation.  Why level the transducer if the boat is sitting on an angle on the trailer?  :shrug9: I did this by simply letting the air out of one of the tires until the hull was level.   That's right.........I drive my wife crazy too!  :biggrin:

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

GregE

YAT, that leveling procdure  worth a grin!!   :biggrin: :applause:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Salmon King

Ranger...

There is another thread on here about installing a shoot-thru-hull transducer where I mentioned that Arima has graciously provided a space for the transducer to be mounted (at least it was there on my '83 SC). 

If you remove your fuel tank, put your hand in the large hole there next to the transom you should feel a flat spot just to the starboard side of the keel just in front of the hole.
That is for mounting a transducer. 
What I did was sand that area with some 60 grit, wipe it clean with denatured alcohol, then put a large dollop of silicon (yes I used the standard GE and it worked out perfectly) on the transducer (IMPORTANT!!!!!!  be sure you have no air bubbles in the silicon!!!) then place the transducer. 

Once it is in place twist it side to side with light downward pressure.  This will make sure you have a secure bond AND will work out any air bubbles that you might not have noticed.

I just pulled mine out for doing new electronics and found that I actually only had MAYBE 1/16" of silicon on the bottom of the transducer...the rest had performed a bead around the perimeter.  Like I said...mine worked flawlessly at all speeds in any conditions.  It worked so well that the next time I pull my fuel tank I will remove the new one from the transom and put it in there.

Terry
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Markshoreline

Can you just use a transom mount as a shoot thru?  I have thought the shoot thru's were somehow special for that application.   ???
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Threeweight

You can, but it takes a little more doing.  We used to glue standard transom mount ducers to the inside hulls of our fishing kayaks for shoot-thru-the-hull applications.  Build a foam bed with a cut-out in the middle to hold the transducer, then glue it down.  Once it has cured, fill it with marine silicone as Salmonking suggested, then insert the ducer, then put some weight on it to hold it.  Let cure 48 hours or so.

That said, I'd go with one designed for shoot-thru-the-hull if I were adding one to my boat.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Salmon King

Quote from: markshoreline on April 06, 2013, 05:44:13 PM
Can you just use a transom mount as a shoot thru?  I have thought the shoot thru's were somehow special for that application.   ???

Mine was a transom mount.  Of coure the one I have now (the one I may move inside) is also.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

ranger17

Just want to thank you all for your recommendations.  I have completed installation and tested it last Saturday.  So far it works well in bay but haven't tested it off-shore yet.  I will try to upload some pictures.

ranger17