News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Deep Blue Sea Confusion

Started by Markshoreline, March 31, 2013, 03:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markshoreline

I bought a 4 position Blue Sea switch to swap out my 1991 original Arima panel.  I also purchased a momentary for the horn and a 3 position for the lights.  But when I looked at the back of the Blue Sea and the Arima panel it's a bit confusing.  The Blue Sea has two wires already going to each switch, and the Arima has several, in some cases.  At first glance I ran up here and am posting for help.  I've decided not to do the whole rewire right now due to time, $ and taxes and just want to swap out the panel.  Anyone have a clear explanation of how to do the swap?
I'd be very appreciative!    :bowdown:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

SRanger

in the photo the old panel is on the left and the new on the right Mark?  What is that green cylinder lookin thingy at the bottom of the photo.  That looks like a critical part to me:)  I would add a few more of those! 

Am wondering why you need a circuit board on the new panel.  Does that provide backlighting for the switch label, maybe indicate red/green for on/off?  Here is a diagram if it helps  http://assets.bluesea.com/files/resources/instructions/9836.pdf

My basic thinking goes.  You need at least one main power feed into the panel... it should provide power to all the switches.  In the diagram they have the power jumped from each switch to the one next to it.  Then each switch will have wire coming off the hot side (when the switch is in the on position) going to whatever device the switch controls.

But no means an expert here...good luck.

SR

99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

Threeweight

All the Blue Sea switches have that circuit board set up... they have built in blade fuses for each switch, and LED lighting for the panel (all the slots glow orange when the power is on but no switches are flipped, then when you flip one it's label glows green).

IMO they are actually much simpler to wire than the old style you have, as there is only one positive feed wire going to the panel, which then serves to distribute it to your various devices.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

DSCS

If Mark hasn't grown too impatient by then, I'm going to run down and give him an assist this week. The wiring for nav/anchor lights and wipers can be a bit confusing if you haven't worked with it before. Any excuse for some Arima bonding, eh?

Alan
We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

First Cabin

So is the cut out for the new BlueSea panel the same(or close enough) as the cut out from the OEM panel?  How much modification needs to be done?

I want to change mine, but I'm not very excited about carving up the dash to make it fit.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

amazing grace

ej, from the pix it looks pretty close to the same size?

Mark, I assume you have the six switch panel?
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Threeweight

I had to carve mine... it had the old toggle switches mounted in round holes drilled in the dash.  It's less painful than it looks.

Mark, if you need to enlarge the hole, I'd recommend a cutting bit in a Dremmel (and go very slowly!).  That or a keyhole hand saw... a jig saw will scratch the hell out of everything.

The Blue Sea panel I used had a built in diode for rigging the anchor and running lights... very handy, as it eliminated the need for any kind of complicated splicing or soldering.

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Markshoreline

Since the Blue Sea is a 4 switch unit it will fit into the same place on the dash with just a little trimming, I think.  Good to be careful with cutting the dash as there is a lot of tender parts right there, some hidden.  It is the morass of wires that mostly concerns me, and what to do with all the extra power wires once switcherd over to the new unit?!

Threeweight

Re: the extra wires... pull them all out.  Clean up that spaghetti mess!

One trick... label the wires running from the switch to the stuff you power off it.  You can buy cloth label tape, or use mailing labels, or even masking tape.  It will make it much easier in the future if you have to track down a wiring problem or replace something.

Not sure how your ground wires are run for stuff of the switch, but this could also be a good time to install a couple of bus bars in the cuddy for your negative grounds to simplify your wiring.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

DSCS

Quote from: Threeweight on April 01, 2013, 11:09:05 AM
I had to carve mine... it had the old toggle switches mounted in round holes drilled in the dash.  It's less painful than it looks.

Mark, if you need to enlarge the hole, I'd recommend a cutting bit in a Dremmel (and go very slowly!).  That or a keyhole hand saw... a jig saw will scratch the hell out of everything.

The Blue Sea panel I used had a built in diode for rigging the anchor and running lights... very handy, as it eliminated the need for any kind of complicated splicing or soldering.

For anyone following this topic with an eye for installing new panels in the future:
I have found a Roto-zip to be the handiest tool for making/altering holes in fiberglass. Probably about the same as a cutting bit in a Dremmel .

The diode built into the panel makes for any easy hookup, but with the Arimas very limited space for switch panels I would rather have one swith for nav/anchor lights than dedicate a switch for each function. Pretty easy to jumper out a double pole-double throw switch to do the job.

Alan
We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

GutZ

I need to replace my switch panel as some of the connections have corroded away.

4 switches, like this ?
1 Running/anchor
2 horn
3 wiper
4 bilge pump

What does the front look like? Model #?  $$$$ ?

Thanks and Good Luck 
It's always good to have a plan.
It's always better to have a good plan.

amazing grace

1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Threeweight

I went with the Blue Sea 6 slot "Weatherdeck" panel in white.  Dedicated blade fuses for each switch, and waterproof.  The 6 slot required some cutting to fit, but I like having the room to grow.  I'm currently using 5 of my 6 switches (horn, anchor lights, anchor/running lights, wipers, bilge pump #2).

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Markshoreline

First Cabin

Thanks guys!  You convinced me.  I'm going with the 6 slot WeatherDeck in grey.  Looks to be the best switch panel on the market.

GregE

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Threeweight

The cover pops off (the grey and white part) and reveals the switch box underneath.  Between the lighted labels and the switches is a row of fuses, protected by a rubber cover.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Danno

Here's a picture of what it looks like under the panel:

The fuses are under a seal which has been removed in the photo.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

First Cabin

So you guys all put your horn on a regular switch instead of a push button?

GregE

Thanks for the reveal.   :applause:

EJ, I'm guessing you could still run the power thru a button.  Probably easier to stab it quickly
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

amazing grace

seems like I read some where that the downside to that switch panel is you have to pry off that cover to get access to replacing a fuse. Probably not a big deal as it is not a common thing, but may not be ideal to find a tool to pop it off if out on the water with a few things to pay attention to at  once :shrug9:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

First Cabin

Quote from: ReBait on April 02, 2013, 12:29:17 PM
Thanks for the reveal.   :applause:

EJ, I'm guessing you could still run the power thru a button.  Probably easier to stab it quickly

I figure I will put my horn on one of the switches to start.  If I don't like it, I can add a push button later.  Only time I ever recall using the horn is during a safety inspection anyway so it isn't critical....except for the one time I'll need it someday and can't find the switch!!!

On second thought, I'll probably put it on it's own push button...

Markshoreline

I also bought a momentary switch for the panel to operate the horn, but am kind of wondering what it would be like to find in a hurry.  I think a big red button nearby would be easier to find.

Threeweight

Re: removing the cover... there is a slot in the bottom sized to fit a key, dime, pocketknife blade, fish hook, fork, etc...  None of the items you power through the switches are really life and death, and chances are that in a boat you'll have something that would work.

Re: momentary switches... yah, that would be nicer, but not really necessary.  Only time I use my horn is to scare wake boarders who are not  paying attention, or guys at the ramp who are not paying attention.  As Mark said, you can always swap one of the standard on/offs out to a momentary switch.

One thing I don't like is needed to hunt for which switch is the correct one... that said, I had the same problem with the previous toggle switches.

The big selling point on this unit to me is that it is designed to be water resistant.  Given the tendency for the old Arima windshields to leak, that was very important to me.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

First Cabin

Quote from: Threeweight on April 02, 2013, 02:41:24 PM

The big selling point on this unit to me is that it is designed to be water resistant.  Given the tendency for the old Arima windshields to leak, that was very important to me.

My thoughts exactly.

Last summer I drove home from Neah Bay in a heavy rain storm.  Somewhere along the way, water got into the bilge pump switch and shorted the circuit open.  I discovered the bilge pump running when I got home and I couldn't turn it off!  I had to remove the fuse to shut it off.  I don't know if the bilge pump had been running for 5 minutes or 5 hours.  I haven't been able to trust the switches since.

Some amount of rain and sea water invariably runs over the switch panel and after a fishing trip in the salt I like to hose the boat down thoroughly.  It will be nice to have a more trustworthy panel.