News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Antenna Question

Started by steeler, March 07, 2013, 12:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steeler

I'm trying to reduce the clutter in the cuddy of my Sea Hunter.
If I shorten the cable from my antenna to the radio by several feet will that affect the performace of the radio?
The best time to go fishing is when its raining and when it ain't

woody

Double check with manufactor's site.  There is a minimum length, can't remember? 3'?

Woody

steeler

The best time to go fishing is when its raining and when it ain't

fishorcrab

Woody is correct, of course.  However, if the antenna is resonant on the marine frequencies as I suspect it is, the length should not matter much.  I have not cut mine because I hate breaking a perfectly working antenna. 

An alternative is to coil the excess into a 6 or 8 inch circle and use electrical tape, velcro, or wire-ties to hold the loops together. If using wire-ties, don't tighten enough to distort the cables as that could alter its characteristics.  We commonly do this in amateur radio antenna systems.  Mine is coiled to get it out of the way.

Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

croaker stroker

Use to be the antenna cable needed to be cut in multiples of the wavelength of the radio.  Not sure anymore. I think maybe the newer radios have a circuit to account for that.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

I have been around Marine radios with differing antenna cable length and have noticed little difference.  I can't understand any of them   :nono:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Markshoreline

2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

allpauwork

Quote from: StreamFixer on March 07, 2013, 06:28:00 PM
I have been around Marine radios with differing antenna cable length and have noticed little difference.  I can't understand any of them   :nono:

StreamFixer

You have to practice more at the drive thru.    :jester:

Threeweight

In all fairness, Russ could be standing next to someone with a bull horn and not understand them without his hearing aids.  :stooges:

If you cut it, I would use solder and the best quality connector you can find.  I don't think the shorter cable is going to hurt anything, but getting the same quality in the new connector installation that it had from the factory, and sealing it, could be a problem.  Personally, I'd just wrap the cable into a few figure 8's and zip tie it up under the gunnel and out of the way.  :twocents:
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

allpauwork

I just bought a new antenna a couple of months ago from West Marine.  It was packed with out the coax connector on the end of the wire.  In my case, the hole through the fiberglass was just big enough for the coax to go through without the connector on the end.  West Marine carries a crimp on connector that requires no soldering.  When I was a worker bee, we installed coax connectors for DS3 speeds with special manually crimping tools.  The connector I bought at West Marine was easy enough to install with regular tools.  As others have stated, I just coil the excess.

Markshoreline

I purchased one of the 3 foot stainless steel whips for the same reason- I broke my 8 footer because I laid in down on the gunwale.  The new one came with a good length of coax, but I had to solder the fittings once it passed through the glass.  I just coiled up the excess.

I understand that the higher your antenna tip the longer the radios range will be, so higher is better.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

The shorter antenna is good in some cases. Although it doesn't extend out as far as the longer antenna, the beam is wider.  In rough conditions, or on a sailboat, the shorter 3db antenna might be a better choice.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

Given the curvature of the earth, a taller antenna will always have greater range than a short one... shape of the beam can't overcome the horizon being closer to a short antenna.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

StreamFixer

Quote from: Threeweight on March 08, 2013, 09:53:55 AM
In all fairness, Russ could be standing next to someone with a bull horn and not understand them without his hearing aids.  :stooges:

Hey, let's get all the facts on the table here....  The only time you have observed me having hearing problems is when I am fishing with you, Danno or Woody.  You must admit I never failed to respond to 'fish-on' for my rod.  The rest of the time, what do the three of you have to say that is important enough to pay attention to :shrug9:  :hoboy:

You must also admit I seldom miss what Katherine, Debra, or Jean have to say.....   :wink:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu