News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

wiring and battery move finally done

Started by Ulua, February 20, 2013, 07:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulua

I have been filling holes, sanding and polishing for three days now. I can't even lift a beer. I thought wiring was brutal! Posting pictures and polishing is painful also. I want to thank Rick(Wyrguy) for his advice and to all who have inspired me on this great site with their imaginative and functional upgrades.

As soon as this rain stops I am going to see if the blackmouth will bite.
Tony
85  17 Sea Ranger
2009 Honda 90
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

Chuck Jones

Beautifully and professionally done.  That is artistic...My profound compliments to the chef!!

Rick: does that resemble the wiring job you found in your boat??

cj
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

amazing grace

Wow, that is sweet. I am hoping mine will be  as nice, albeit simpler. Congratulations. 
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Markshoreline

That is Gorgeous!  If you don't catch any blackmouth it isn't a wiring problem!!!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Wyrguy

Tony...  :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

That is one of the nicest wiring jobs I've seen... Smart layout too!

AWESOME!!!  :clap: :party: :clap:

I'm glad I was able to help you... Now, when did you say you were going to come up and do my wiring for me???  :facepalm:

(Chuck, I'd be proud to have the wiring in my boat look like this...)

Congratulations on a job well done! (and on the proper use of the MRBF's too!)

Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

DSCS

That is one beautiful piece of work!!!   :applause:  :applause:  :applause: 
Any future questions from members that start out "I'm thinking of rewiring my..." can be answered by just pointing to your pics.
Well done!

Alan
We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

fishorcrab

Tony,

Hats off to very professional job.  Looks more like industrial wallbox wiring than other boats I've seen.

What are you going to do with all that energy and spare time next?

Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

Tom Mac

:beerchug: That is a quality job! I would not be upset with workmanship like that on my boat.

Ian
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

xplorz

'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

GregE

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

jgm64rivi

Jerry M
jgmsls@yahoo.com
1989 Sea Sprinter
50HP Yamaha 50TLR

Danno

I will never be able to show my wiring jobs on this site. There are too many people that do such an awesome job. Mine would look good but not that good.

I do hope that you plan to use the panel on top of the battery area. I would hate to see something int he cuddy shift and break something which could lead to a short in there.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Chief of the Boat

Tony,
I have seen wiring inside electronic cabinets on submarines, did you do them?
I am IMPRESSED!!
Terry  :clap:

Markshoreline

Tony,
Are those sealed batteries?  If not, do you have any concerns or have mitigated any concerns about them?
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

SRanger

Nice layout!  How much would you pay for a nifty little gun that installs the wire ties and trims the ends.  Another million dollar business idea.

SR
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

Wyrguy

Quote from: SRanger on February 21, 2013, 10:51:49 PM
Nice layout!  How much would you pay for a nifty little gun that installs the wire ties and trims the ends.  Another million dollar business idea.

SR

Todd, I don't know how much Tony paid, but mine was $24.89 Cdn... When I'm done rewiring my boat, you wanna borrow it?

Rick

Ulua

Thanks for the approval guys, it was quite an undertaking. I thought between the starboard, pumps, electronics and pumps I was looking at a weeks work. it ended up taking me three weeks, I must be getting old and slow. I started on the cosmetic upgrades (gelcoat, patching, paint, sanding) and it looks like it's going to be another three weeks

Rick, I would offer to come up and help string wire, working for lunches and beer, but you would quickly send me on my way.Thanks for letting us know about battery switch location importance and the MRBF's.

Todd, I did buy one of those fancy wire tie doo hickeys from harbor freight, what a piece of kukai. Wouldn't even get the ties snug. Speaking of ties, I think I threw as more away than are on the boat. They should make reusable ties.

Mark those are both sealed AGM batteries. The starting is a group 27 and house a 31. If you need some help troubleshooting let me know.

Terry, I have never wired a sub but in high school we used to drive down to Kahului harbor with our girlfriends and watch the submarine races. After high school I repaired a radar and launcher that had tubes instead of transistors. That was really impressive wiring.

I installed an HDS7, Lowrance LVR 880 VHF and a sonic hub. I am not impressed with the VHF, it will not stay connected to either network I installed. It drops off the NMEA 2000 every 30 minutes and quits on the 0183 after about 45=55 minutes. Lowrance's techs made me jump thru hoops to get a return authorization. I would not buy that VHF again.

Back to sanding, Tony

85  17 Sea Ranger
2009 Honda 90
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

StreamFixer

Quote from: Ulua on February 22, 2013, 08:15:34 AM
Back to sanding Tony

Be careful not to sand Tony too much   :jester:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Wyrguy

Quote from: StreamFixer on February 22, 2013, 08:34:24 AM
Back to sanding Tony

Be careful not to sand Tony too much   :jester:

StreamFixer

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Tony (yet?) but I'm pretty sure that Pinocchio should be more worried...
:anyone:  :shrug9:  :facepalm:  :whistle:   :1zhelp: :wink:

Rick

Tony, all the 'Submarine Races' we used to watch from the beach drive here in Victoria always took place after dark!!!  :bigshock:

Threeweight

That wiring job is a thing of beauty.  Puts mine to shame  :bowdown:

If you decide to go with a different VHF, look into the Standard Horizon's.  A little bit cheaper than the Icoms, and everyone I know who has them loves them.  You just have to deal with the NMEA 0183 wiring.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

vxhatch

I am not impressed with the VHF, it will not stay connected to either network I installed. It drops off the NMEA 2000 every 30 minutes and quits on the 0183 after about 45=55 minutes. Lowrance's techs made me jump thru hoops to get a return authorization. I would not buy that VHF again.

Back to sanding, Tony

Tony,

My buddy had the same problems as you with his vhf LVR880. We installed the latest update for the vhf and he hasn't had any problems since. I also have the LVR880 and haven't had any problems.

Not sure if you tried it yet, but here is the update. http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Software-Updates/LVR880U-Class-D-DSC/

Nick

PS. You did a great job on everything.
2001 22' SeaSport Sportsman

Ski2sea

Tony,

Ski2sea here in Port Angeles.  I have really enjoyed the pictures of your "project" and find myself inspired as I complete the rest of my own electronic adventure.

I have the HDS-7 and after a good deal of research opted for the standard horizon 2150.  Easy to install, interfaces AIS with the plotter.

orange to gray
yellow to blue
bare to green

http://www.standardhorizon.com/?cmd=showMarineManuals&DivisionID=3

My install picture is attached, mine is a "work in progress", but knew that I had to post a picture, otherwise, many on this site would say, "without a picture, it did not happen."  The folks at SH are really good to work with, "Scott", if I remember correctly was very interested in making sure their product interfaced.  You will like the AIS feature on the HDS.  Let me know if I can help you out.

Ski2sea

Chuck Jones

I'm awed and humbled by the sheer poetry and artistry of organized, systematic, and professionally installed electronics.  "Those who can't do....marvel at those who can and do".
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

Ulua

Nick, Thanks for the heads up. What happened is I spoke to a tech and he told me to update the HDS  so I went and bought a chip and reader, downloaded the update, copied it to the chip and installed it to the HDS. Same deal! So call back and get another guy on the phone. He tells me I need to update the LVR, says other guy should have known. He explains how to do it at 90 mph. Okay, I figure I need to get this done. Run back to lakewood from Point D and download the LVR update. Get back to the boat stick the chip in the HDS and it won't download to the LVR. Call tech support again and get the same guy on the phone and we go through it...same results. Finally he asks me did you delete the HDS update off the chip? WTF? You didn't tell me to delete anything! Sorry. he says. Run back to Lakewood and delete the HDS update. Back to Point D and stick it in the HDS. Now the LVR is dropping the network half way though the update. Call the gentleman at tech support and explain the situation and he has me try it again, same results. Okay send it in he says but I'll need the serial number. I contort my body and head upside down, put on my old guy specs and try to read the #. The numbers are like a 32nd of an inch tall. Okay, I need more light I tell the gentleman, my halogen is still plugged in near the stern. Start reading off the number as my head shifts and ear lands up on the light. He asks me , why are you swearing?

There is a reason I mounted that piece of crap LVR upside down to begin with, shoulda left it that way!

ThreeDub I will be sleeping in the cuddy and looking at my work, if not mine wouldn't have been close to yours. Outta sight outta mind.
Tony

85  17 Sea Ranger
2009 Honda 90

SRanger

Quote from: Wyrguy on February 21, 2013, 11:30:33 PM
Quote from: SRanger on February 21, 2013, 10:51:49 PM

SR

Todd, I don't know how much Tony paid, but mine was $24.89 Cdn... When I'm done rewiring my boat, you wanna borrow it?

Rick

Hey Rick,  I have seen those but never used one.  Maybe I did not give them enough credit.  Correct me if I am mistaken...the gun only puts the final tension on the tie?  You still need to wrap the tie and thread it back thru the keeper with your bare fingers? 

My thought was gun with a magazine,  and a half open loop on the end of the barrel.  Something you just sort of loop around the wires you want to tie and squeeze the trigger a couple times.  Never actually touching the tie with your hands.  Now if you have something like that I do want to "borrow" it:)

SR
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)