News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

New Combo Unit Ordered from West Marine

Started by Salmon King, January 26, 2013, 05:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salmon King

Well after waiting and looking for a used unit for about 6 months I finally decided to go with a new unit.

Lowrance has just come out with their new 7" wide-screen unit. It'scalled the ELITE-7. It comes in several versions and I ordered the ELITE-7 HDI+GOLD version (Hybrid Down Imaging). $769.99 from West Marine. It will come with NAVIONICS GOLD built in (instead of just the base maps),and a quad transducer 83/200 for the fishfinder and 455/800 for the down imaging part.
It was almost $300 over budget but my od Eagle unit as giving me fits and I just couldn't wait any longer...besides almost everyone upgrading their electronics wants new prices for their old gear.
I could have saved about $80 by ordering the basic version but the cost of a Navionics Gold Chip would have been far more than the $80, so I just got the whole shebang.

It should be ready for me to pick up next Sat. This must be a very popular unit as both WM & CABELA'S say they can't keep them in stock.

Problem is that this will mean that ALL of the other thngs I had planned to do on the boat will have to wait at lest another year...
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

amazing grace

Congrats Terry, I hope it does everything you want it to do. The 7" screen should be a joy! :smile1:
  I hope the $400 I spent on my A50D  does as well :bigshock:

I am happy for you :arms:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Salmon King

Yeah...I almost went for an A50D or some other 5" but my old, tired eyes needed something bigger and since I couldn't find an HDS-7 or 8 at a reasonable price this looked perfect for me.
Oh....and it will actually FIT on the tiny dash of the FahrFrumWerken!

2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Chuck Jones

Anhyone looking for a side scan unit?  Got a call today from my Lawrence rep who's a personal friend...he's selling his side scan unit...he gets the new stuff from Lowrance.   Let me know and I[ll put you in touch.  I don't need side scan...I'm happy with down scan.  His stuff is primo...being the rep, he knows the condition of his equipment.

Guys...I'm headed up to the Eel river for three days of steelie fishing...be back next Wednesday the 30th to answer any inquiries...not ignoring you good folks.  This will be my first trip using the 9'6" Lami rod...you guys up north are used to the longer rods...I'm breaking into the arena just now.  Report say the fishing is fantastic.  Will post pics upon return.

cj
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

finfinn

Congratulations, Terry. Sorry to hear that you could not get the old Garmin to work. I thought it was a goner, but you wanted to give it a shot. You will like the bigger display anyway - I know I do :wink:.
Had a glorious SR19 Finnesse.
You can not change the length of your life, but boating does increase its width and depth.

xplorz

Good deal SK! You were smart to get the chip with it. It may slow down boat purchases for a year, but remember.....its a boat, you are ALWAYS going to be throwing money at it.  :wink:
'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

Markshoreline

In boating, bigger is always better- good choice.

You probably know this, but SFF strongly recommends purchasing the warranty on marine electronics- he's had some successful experiences with that.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Salmon King

That extended warranty is gonna cost me another $70.
Don't have any idea where I'll find that laying around.
Much as I wnt it...
Probably gonna have to skip that part.

2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Seattleflyfisher

That $70 would upgrade you in 3 years to the newest product if yours breaks down.

SFF

Markshoreline

I haven't bought the additional coverage myself, but SFF has had some convincing experience  for buying the coverage.  I'm thinking I will too, next time.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

pnwislanddog

Mark.. Please elaborate. I'm shopping for a new unit and need all the help I can get. Usually I don't opt for special warranty stuff but are marine electronics a special need case?

Threeweight

The electronics makers will repair a bad unit under warranty, usually charging you just shipping.  But when the warranty expires, the unit is typically outdated and they won't repair it, but will offer you a replacement w/ a new unit at reduced cost (so instead of $700 retail price for a new unit, they will sell you a replacement for $400, for example).

West Marine's upgraded warranty's last longer, and if the product can't be fixed they say they will replace it, free, with the closest model they currently stock.  I've never had to use it, but I know folks who have had good luck with it.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Salmon King

UPDATE...

I took the Elite7 back for a refund. WHY you ask (when I as so hot on it)?

Because I found an HDS7 GEN 2 WITH Insight USA complete with a Platinum card for $600. It's only a 6 mo. old unit...the guy decided to go with 2 of the Gen 2 10" touch screens instead of 7" screeens.

This is the unit I had been waiting on in the 1st place.
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

wedocq

Terry,
That's what I have. No use yet. I just go it installed yesterday. The insight is pretty sweet, I can't wait to get it out on the water! Let's keep in touch, and work out any bugs together. (As in you find them, and tell me the solution, hahaha.)
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Chuck Jones

S/K...THAT was a killer deal!!  That's what I paid for the HDS 5...

Cj
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

Salmon King

yeah Chuck...every once in a while a deal comes along.

This one actually came to me in a PM from another site!
...and he didn't even know I was interested in a new finder!

Sometimes I'd rather be lucky than good!!
Terry
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

pnwislanddog

Terry, Shawn, or others:

Did you get it with the Structure Scan add-on? Since I'm such a neophyte, I don't know if that would be useful or not. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Salmon King

Quote from: pnwislanddog on February 10, 2013, 10:13:48 AM
Terry, Shawn, or others:

Did you get it with the Structure Scan add-on? Since I'm such a neophyte, I don't know if that would be useful or not. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

No structure scan but I really dont need it with the platinum card (contour lines @ 1' increments).
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

ishan

o.k. i've got another neophite question...
for down imaging/ structure scan, do you need to have 2 transducers?
one on transom one thru hull?
i've been reading the company sites but not sure.
it would be great for halibut to see the difference between sandy and muddy bottom
at 300ft... rather than wait to reel up a skate...

"red fish blue fish"
'06 19' SR
honda 135 & yammy f8

Threeweight

I don't think side scan is going to show you that kind of detail in saltwater.  Everything I have heard is performs best in 50-75' or less in freshwater.  Great tool for bass and other structure-dependent fish in shallow water.  In denser saltwater, and deeper depths, the utility is limited.

IMO you are better off with a more powerful unit (at least 600 watts) with a quality traditional transducer (Airmar P58, P66, etc... or better) for the salt (unless you can afford one of the newer CHIRP sonar units).

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Salmon King

ishan..

Only 1 transducer...it is a 4 frequency deal.

TW...

You have a good point.

The structure scan is only really good to 150' according to Lowrance.  Yes...their literature (big word huh?) is somewhat misleading in that it really doesn't tell you the limits...ya gotta ask 'em.

Anyway...for those of you that do not know (have not read my other posts...) I ended up returning this unit the day after I got it.   I ended up with a SCREAMIN' HOT DEAL on an HDS-7 and a platinum (fish 'n Chips ) card.  Saved me $200 over the Elite-7 Gold.

S.K.
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

ishan

thanks for come back guys...
i went and talked with the salesman at englunds in eureka
and he confirmed that down/structure imaging in salt is a waste of time...

it sounds like for finding baitballs you really want a digital ducer... so i'm leaning toward the lowrance HDS5 gen 2...
turns out lowrance is having a $100 rebate for hds5&7s through may 5th...

so far ive only found the hds5 with west nautic insight as low as 749$ i think lowrance keeps most of their sellers in the same ball park, cause three stores all have the 749 price listed.

for ocean use is there any preference between the 50/200 or 83/200khz ducer?
are the after market (airmar) ducers really that much better?
thnx!
"red fish blue fish"
'06 19' SR
honda 135 & yammy f8

Threeweight

50/200 is standard for saltwater, the 83/200 is typically for freshwater use.

Google shows HDS 5 packages w/ the Nautic Insight charts and a 50/200 transducer for $680 online from a few places (you have to click "add to cart" to see the final price):

http://lr2.factoryoutletstore.com/details/46888/lowrance-hds-5-gen2-nautic-insight-w-50-200khz.html?category_id=34675

http://www.ultimatepassage.com/cgi-bin/up/order.html?id=NTSLn5yj

West Marine should price match these if you print em' out and take them in.

I have one of the first generation HDS 5's and it is a solid unit.  I prefer the sonar on my Raymarine, but the Lowrance interface is a lot more user friendly.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

ishan

thanks 3weight...
we dont have a westmarine around here...
i think with the $100 rebate it might be worth buying local
so i can just bring it to the store if there are any problems.

"red fish blue fish"
'06 19' SR
honda 135 & yammy f8

amazing grace

I know there are guys that like Lowrance. Hydro-Therapy says something about the Low in Lowrance is for their Low end line for the company making them.

For the money you are going to lay down for the lowrance product I would see what that would buy in the Furuno, Raymarine, Simrad and other reputable makers line up. If Lowrance wins out, great. If not, i think you will happy too. Just a suggestion.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead