News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Furuno LS6100?

Started by Grilse, January 23, 2013, 08:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grilse

Anybody use one of these? I don't have a need for the nav, so this looked to be a good alternative, meaning affordable. It has a b&w display and uses the Airmar transducer, which seems to be well liked. I'm wondering if the flashy color displays really help? I just want to see what's in the Nehalem, Tillamook and occasionally the Columbia...and my 12 year old Raytheon is starting to get a bit long in the tooth.

Thanks,
Jeff
2005 SR19
1999 Yamaha F100
2005 Yamaha 8
Stabicraft 1530
Yamaha F60

Vancouvertechie

I have the LS-4100 and it is a solid unit.  I have used it a couple of times and I like it.  The LS-6100 has better back lighting than the smaller unit.  Furuno makes an excellent sounder IMHO, and paired with the Airmar its a win, win.  I am eager to try in in the Puget Sound this year chasing Coho's and Lings.

You can network the unit to get NMEA GPS data to the screen.

VT
2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

amazing grace

I don't have one. They seem to be really good units. I contemplated getting one. Still might at some point. I ended up getting a Raymarine A50D unit. Mainly on the advice of our esteemed experts here. The Digital  color FF is highly recommended. Also comes with a chartplotter as a bonus, even if you don't need one. For about the same money that you are talking about spending on the Furuno. It also comes with an Airmar transducer. I think it is worth some consideration over the Furuno.
This model is disconntinued but can still be found.

Good luck.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Threeweight

They are a real popular unit w/ the Pacific City dory fleet here in Oregon (the guys who launch their open dories directly into the surf off the beach in the summer.)  Very durable units with great reputations.

I would second AG's comment on the Raymarine A50d (or A57d, or A64d, if you can find any of them).  They are an older model that has been replaced by Raymarine's touch screens, but they are great color units w/ chartplotter function, and excellent sonars that come with a pretty good Airmar transducer.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Grilse

Thanks, hopefully I'll get to see it at the Sportsmans show. The A50d still seems to be available on the Raytheon store.

Jeff
2005 SR19
1999 Yamaha F100
2005 Yamaha 8
Stabicraft 1530
Yamaha F60

Vancouvertechie

Really?

How much for the A50d?  Got a link?

VT
2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

Grilse

2005 SR19
1999 Yamaha F100
2005 Yamaha 8
Stabicraft 1530
Yamaha F60

Grilse

Okay, in the continuing search for the sub $500 fishfinder, I've come across the Garmin 550c.  The Garmin site says its designed for freshwater, only good to 700 feet in salt. I rarely venture beyond the Oregon river bars, so I don't think this is a problem.  Can anyone else see why this wouldn't be a good deal? $350 seems to be the going price, reviews all seem good, but mostly freshwater users.

Thanks for any help,

Jeff
2005 SR19
1999 Yamaha F100
2005 Yamaha 8
Stabicraft 1530
Yamaha F60

StreamFixer

Jeff

I am a Garmin fan and do not see where you would have a problem in fresh or salt.  The transducer does not care.

Sounds like a good price for a fine unit.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Threeweight

I'd have to disagree with Russ a bit... not all transducers are created equally.

Because saltwater  is denser than freshwater, and fishing there tends to be much deeper, units generally operate at lower frequencies (50/200 mhz on a dual frequency unit) than a freshwater transducer (83/200, or 77/200).  Saltwater units also typically put out more power.

The Garmin unit you are looking at has a 77/200 transducer that puts out 500 watts.  I think for the kind of fishing you are doing, it would be a fine bare-bones unit

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Hydro-Therapy

Grilse if you could stretch your budget to under $600 and not be in a big hurry to get it. I would take a serious look at the Raymarine Butterfly. They are just released and at the price point are litterly flying off the shelves. By far the best unit for the money out there right now.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

amazing grace

First let me say I am no expert. I tend to agree with SF on the Garmin unit. They are user friendly and seem to be quite built pretty well and have a lot of satified users out there.
I personally think there is a lot to like about them for the money.

That Furuno unit would be a solid, powerful unit, albeit black and white. If I can find a really good deal on one (4100 or 6100) I would like one for a secondary unit. 

I recently bought one the A50d units from the Raymarine store with insight lake and river software and transducer for sub $400. It is a reconditioned unit that absolutely looks new. I bought it mostly for the FF capabilities but it has the gps as well.
I decided on it because it had the software and a special tranducer I liked.
Several of our board techies raved about the digital sonar of this unit. For the money I could not resist.

Unfortuately it will be awhile before I can use it as the boat is undergoing some restoration (Rewire)

I think you have some good options  and I like them all. Let us know what you decide and how it works for you. Good luck.   
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Grilse

The Dragonfly does look sweet, however I didn't see any paddle wheel speedo, I wonder if it will be an accessory? Now to convince SWMBO!

Thanks for the info,

Jeff
2005 SR19
1999 Yamaha F100
2005 Yamaha 8
Stabicraft 1530
Yamaha F60

Threeweight

Since it is a combo chartplotter/sonar, it has a built in GPS that can measure speed over ground without the need for a paddle wheel.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Grilse

I know, but I've gotten in the habit of paying attention to my speed through the water when trolling, which is mostly what I do. Nehalem, Tillamook, etc. The Dragonfly looks like the beginning of a new generation, I'll be curious to see how it develops.

Plus, the shop needs a new dust collector, so I need to remain low tech!

2005 SR19
1999 Yamaha F100
2005 Yamaha 8
Stabicraft 1530
Yamaha F60

amazing grace

Grilse, I do not really consider any of the one's being discussed as low tech. I think the Furuno would be a great option if you did not really need gps. That is a powerful unit and I believe it to be digital. The Garmin I do not think is, could be wrong. If I were considering both for about the same money. I would go Furuno. It seems to be an awesome unit for the $
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

ishan

hope you guys dont mind me reviving this link...

my boat came with a garmin 198c, which i have not yet really given  a fair shake yet,
but when i took the boat out for sea trials it seemed rather uninspiring, especially the sounder,
compared to what even some of the cheap newer combo units provide.

i've been reading around wondering about some of the hummingbird combos... and the a50d (mentioned above) seems good and they are cheaper now.
and there is the furuno gp1670f that is rather tempting... but a bit more money.

i figure if i have two combo units onboard there is some sort of redundancy incase something goes south on the water.
is there any reason not to have two transducers on the transom at the same time?

any ideas?

"red fish blue fish"
'06 19' SR
honda 135 & yammy f8

Threeweight

Re: the two transducers... if they are operating on the same frequency at the same time, they can interfere with each other.  Solution is either to operate them on different frequencies, or operate them one at a time.  I do the one at a time thing w/ my Lowrance and Raymarine (Lowrance HDS is typically used as a chartplotter, Raymarine as a sonar.)

--- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

Quote from: Grilse on February 23, 2013, 11:10:39 AM
I know, but I've gotten in the habit of paying attention to my speed through the water when trolling, which is mostly what I do. Nehalem, Tillamook, etc. The Dragonfly looks like the beginning of a new generation, I'll be curious to see how it develops.

Plus, the shop needs a new dust collector, so I need to remain low tech!

You could always get an electronic speedo, with paddle wheel....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teleflex-Electronic-Speedometer-Kit-/180214462188
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸