News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Lowrance broadband 3G/4G radar

Started by theSaltyPuddle, January 03, 2013, 04:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theSaltyPuddle

Anybody have any info on these radar units?  Would it work with an HD-S 5?  From what I can tell it is pretty plug and play.  Would it just be a matter of running power to the dome?

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Radar/
1985 SC 17, 2017 Mercury 90Hp

Threeweight

A 5" screen is pretty marginal for radar, IMO.  Maybe if you had multiple HDS units, and ran one as a dedicated radar screen.

I have heard very good things about the sensitivity of these Lowrance broadband units.  Capable of picking up crab buoys in the fog.  Here in Oregon, I have heard of folks having them tuned sensitive enough to pick up flocks of birds, which they use to locate feeding Tuna!

I haven't installed a Lowrance unit, but I have helped with a Garmin.  Other than drilling and sealing holes in a hard top, it was pretty straightforward plug and play.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

theSaltyPuddle

Thanks 3wgt.  I think I'm going to try to find a smokin' deal on one.  I'll likely pick up another FF/GPS unit eventually and make one a stand alone unit when it would be required.
1985 SC 17, 2017 Mercury 90Hp

Chuck Jones

I was looking at doing the same thing.  I talked to our local Lowrance tech rep and he suggested that I get a used HDS 5X unit which can be picked up for less money because it is strictly a downsight model with no gps capability.  The screen on the HDS 5 is really a bit small to do multi-tasking on.  Although it has the capability to display multiple functions like fuel flow, rpm, gas level, split screens etc...it does get a bit crowded on there.  For this reason, he suggested using another unit to break up the functions, or bite the bullet and go to the HDS 7 or 9.  You can use the other HDS 5X unit for something like side-scan while running the HDS 5 for your downsight(fish finder) and some engine functions displayed by cursoring to different screens....but not all overlaid since it's too cramped.
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Fished on a guides boat last month and he had the 4G combined with a HDS10 which was simple to use and was super detailed. I am not really knowledgeable about all of the features, but if I were to choose to do it over again on my boat,  I'd go for the 4G and be using it with my HDS 8. As I understand it from my local Electronics Marine supplier it is a plug and a play....just mount the antennae....make the connects and it is ready to go.  J DOO Dad.
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!