News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

After Christmas combo ff/gps unit sales?

Started by amazing grace, December 26, 2012, 04:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amazing grace

Just checking in guys. Since I will need to order online or over the phone I am wondering about any "red hot" deals.  :bigshock:

I have been watching the Raymarine store on Closeouts and reconditioned units sff mentioned. I had my eye on a A57D and when I went to order someone beat me to it :doh:

They have some A50D's and I may go that route. I figure it would make an awesome Fish finder and a back up for a gps, being I am planning on using a tablet for gps at this point. I should be able to have both the A50D and a good 7" tablet and ram mount for around $700.

Maybe by summer I will be able to spring for the new Raymarine ff/gps/radar unit($1700-) for the other SR :whistle:.

Thought's about my current thinking? and any deals that you may know about? :arms:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

SRanger

Cool video of VancouverTechie demo of his A50 on YouTube.  Well done John!

SR
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

beancounter

I was in West Marine couple days before Christmas and they had a color 4 or 5" combo for I believe 349 it was a Garmin. It was like reg 539 or something.

Salmon King

Quote from: beancounter on December 27, 2012, 05:23:15 AM
I was in West Marine couple days before Christmas and they had a color 4 or 5" combo for I believe 349 it was a Garmin. It was like reg 539 or something.

Yes..and that price is good through the 31st.
I am giving serious thought to getting one...but then...
I'm also thinking I would rather have a Lowrance unit.

For me...I don't feel that Garmin has the quality resolution it should have with the technology that is available.
IMO...all of the other major brands have better looking displays.

S.K.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

theSaltyPuddle

I almost bought the Garmin before I got my hd-s 5.  In my opinion, the screen is way too small and for that small a screen the resolution should be better, like you said SK.  I'm very happy with my Lowrance so far.
1985 SC 17, 2017 Mercury 90Hp

amazing grace

I think Garmin makes some good units. Especially above the $500 to $600 units i am looking at :facepalm:. I believe their customer service is really good. too.
ONe thing I think hurts them is they have so much available that it just gets my head spinning and I give up. Sometimes more is not better :shrug9:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Threeweight

Raymarine A50D w/ no charts, $613:

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Raymarine+A50D+Chartplotter+Fishfinder.html?gclid=CL-46-2RvrQCFYN_Qgod-yMAGw

Lowrance HDS -5 Gen 2 w/ the Nautic Insight saltwater charts bundled, $678:

http://www.boemarine.com/000-10519-001_Lowrance_HDS-5_Gen2_Nautic_Insight_50200_kHz_Transducer/

I've used the low end ($700) and very high end ($4500) Garmin units.  IMO, they make fantastic chart plotters, are well made, and seem to have a good rep for customer service.  On the other, their sonars don't measure up well compared to Lowrance, and really fall short of higher end units like Raymarine or Furuno.  On the sub-$1000 units, you typically get smaller, lower resolution screens for your $$ on the Garmins.  The other thing to consider is Garmin's use proprietary Bluechart mapping chips, which cost big $$, whereas the Raymarine, Lowrance, Humminbird, etc... units use Navionics chips.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Jay in Kitsap

I just posted in the other FF thread, go with Lowrance vs Hummingbird.  I got on sale at West Marine, with their warranty coverage.
'84 SR17 Restored '10 Honda BF90