News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Yamaha Command Link

Started by HemiGTX, June 13, 2015, 09:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemiGTX

I just picked up my new yamaha F115B from Defiance today and am trying to decide whether or not to install the Yamaha Command Link gauge system.  It seems to be a tach, engine temp/coolant pressure gauge, fuel management system, etc. 

Sounds pretty neat, but Yamaha is very (very!) proud of it, and I'm not certain that I even need it.  Initially, my plan was to tie the engine into my RayMarine MFD (which largely blocks my view of the gauges), but now I'm exploring options.

How are you guys displaying your engine data?  What information to you consider to be essential? 
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

GregE

I didn't use it.  Motor feeds data to the NMEA backbone and reads on the plotter

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

First Cabin

Five years ago I would have said, "Buy the Command Link."   Now I'm not so sure.  The NMEA 2000 networking is so good these days, I'm not sure it is worth it anymore.

Thinking practically, what information am I really looking at all the time?

1.  RPMS
2.  Speed
3.  Position on GPS
4.  Depth

That's about it isn't it?  I'm monitoring those few things all the time, but the rest I'm looking at occasionally.  Things like:

1.  Fuel Burn
2.  Fuel Level
3.  Engine temp (Really I don't look at it...I rely on a warning)
4.  Trim level?  (Can't remember the last time I actually looked at the gauge...)

The more I think about it, the less reasons I can come up with to get the Command Link.  I say spend your money on more electronics.  You will want a larger display so you can see the information  and watch the GPS.  I'd suggest two linked displays, one dedicated to engine info and GPS plotting and the other dedicated to fish finding.  That's what I run and I'm happy.

Maybe peope will argue that you need dedicated engine information.  I'd argue if your fishfinder goes out, you're probably headed in anyway, aren't you?
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

HemiGTX

Gentlemen, thanks for the feedback.  I'm very much inclined to skip the command link and put the money towards radar and a larger screen. 

T-Rex

It wouldn't cost much for a few analog gauges as well...
Just in case the plotter or nmea network have issues.
Sea Chaser 17, Suzuki DF90A

HemiGTX

WC:  Absolutely.  Plus, I couldn't leave unsightly holes in the dash.

Wyrguy

Not wanting to clutter up my chart plotter/FF/radar screen on my Raymarine E120W, and for the system redundancy Westcoaster mention, I opted for the Yamaha Command Link Plus gauge. A stand alone 5" LCD screen dedicated to just my engine info. I have waaaay too much $$$ tied up in my big motor to rely on an overheat alarm going off telling me that I've just seized my main, so I've also added into the Yamaha pkg, a water pressure sender that will alarm if the pressure drops. I've been out with a friend who lost one of his two 250 Yamahas when he sucked up a plastic bag, not noticing that the pee stream had stopped, until the alarm went off.... Too late!  :1zhelp: :nono:

Just my  :twocents:  (Cdn, so it ain't worth much)

Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs