News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Treating Small Strips of Sunbrella

Started by DSCS, April 15, 2014, 05:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSCS

Although I have Sunbrella all around my cabin enclosure, most of it is in small strips 1 1/2" to 3" wide. These are around the zip out windows and bimini top. The largest contiguous area is below the windows on the drop curtain.

How would you apply 303 Fabric Guard to those strips? Directions say to spray two light mist applications, but I do't want to spray it on the vinyl windows. Would you use a paint brush? Dab it on with a cloth?

Any advice from Gary - the guru of nautical fabric ?

Alan
We're most of us liars, we're 'arf of us thieves,
an' the rest are as rank as can be,
But once in a while we can finish in style
(which I 'ope it won't 'appen to me).

ak-angler

I suppose you could use some blue painter's tape and paper or light plastic to mask off the windows. Then, just spray as needed.  :shrug9:
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Steve

I took my drop curtain down, then laid it on a peice of plywood covered with a old blanket, to clean and treat. A painters edgeing tool worked pretty good next to the clear vinyl. Had a couple minor mess up's but they wiped of easily.
2006  21' Sea Ranger HT
2006  150 Honda
2011  8 hp Honda High Thrust

CanvasGuy

both excellent advice .. I'd say. :applause: :biggrin:
Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

DSCS

Thanks for the suggestions.   :applause:  Will experiment with some light tac tape. If that doesn't work out the edging tool should do the trick.

Alan

J Chaser

I just spray it...easily wipes off the vinyl windows.

John
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

DSCS

Quote from: jward84 on April 17, 2014, 08:20:31 AM
I just spray it...easily wipes off the vinyl windows.

John

Really? I would have thought it would smear and make a big mess.  Of course if there is any possible way to make a big mess of things on a project I am the person to find a way to do it.   :shrug9:

Alan

StreamFixer

Quote from: DSCS on April 17, 2014, 10:38:42 PM
if there is any possible way to make a big mess of things on a project I am the person to find a way to do it.   :shrug9:

Alan

Alan

My bride is telling me you must share that distinction and not exclusively claim it.  Personally, I have no idea what she is talking about   :whistle:

StreamFixer 
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu