News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Minn Kota iPilot on Arima?

Started by stickball, December 07, 2019, 12:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stickball

Hi Everyone -
I don't own an Arima yet, but plan to buy a used one in the Spring when I sell my Lund.  Never owned an Arima, but have owned a sorta similar Wahoo in a previous life.  The main question I have for the group has to do with mounting a Minn Kota electric trolling motor on the bow.  Is that a feasible/advisable thing to do?  Does anyone have pics they can share with Minn Kota mounted?

Also, in an unrelated area ---  I'm well into my retirement and am curious about others my age climbing onto the Arima while on it's trailer.  Do you all use some sort of step ladder?  What works best for you?  I also usually fish alone; is a 17-foot Arima easily handled by one reasonably fit, older person?

Thanks for any useful input!
Television isn't a medium; it's a small...

1989 Sea Hunter w/ 1990 75hp Merc 2-stroke.
2006 Yamaha 8hp kicker
Vancouver, Washington

croaker stroker

I step on the step with my right foot, then step on the fender with my left foot, then throw my right leg over the side, then lay on the gunwale until I catch my breath, then I roll off and flop onto the deck.

I always mount from the Port side.

J/k, I step onto the deck...no problems for a 70 year old.  I shortened the load guides and added 3m step non-skid to the fenders since this photo.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Svinny88

I know of three arimas with bow mount trolling motors, and one is mine    It took quite a bit of garage engineering, and around 500$ over the standard cost of motor, batteries,and wire.  There's over 4,000$ with the price the motor.  If you aren't planning on an ulterra that is self deploying, I would recommend a style of boat that gives you easier access to the bow.
1998 15'11" sea explorer. 2020 Honda bf100
"T roLL on 1"

stickball

Thanks for the responses.  Svinny88, I didn't even think about access tot he front of the boat in order to deploy a standard system. Something to seriously think about.  Thanks for that!
Television isn't a medium; it's a small...

1989 Sea Hunter w/ 1990 75hp Merc 2-stroke.
2006 Yamaha 8hp kicker
Vancouver, Washington

AJFishin

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on December 07, 2019, 12:32:31 PM
I step on the step with my right foot, then step on the fender with my left foot, then throw my right leg over the side, then lay on the gunwale until I catch my breath, then I roll off and flop onto the deck.

I always mount from the Port side.

J/k, I step onto the deck...no problems for a 70 year old.  I shortened the load guides and added 3m step non-skid to the fenders since this photo.

CS that was funny  :jester: :jester:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

croaker stroker

Well, it's not too far from the truth.  :jester: 🤷🏼‍♂️
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Danno

Most of the 17 and 19' Arimas are on 96" wide trailers which requires the hull to be above the fenders. A 102" wide trailer allows the hull to sit between the fenders and lower the overall height while on the trailer by about 6" which makes it a bit easier to climb in without a step stool.

Compare my first Arima, a 19' SR in the picture below to Croaker's 17' SP:

17' and 19' Arima are both easy for one person to handle for launching and retrieving.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.