News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

27 gallon gas tank install on 16 SC

Started by Fisherdv, November 08, 2017, 12:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

Maybe grease on a razor blade would keep the shavings on the blade. It worked well with the drill bit. The one thing that makes me think this is the problem now is the fuel spilling out the filler even with an empty tank. The fuel must be hitting that thick lip and backing up
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Yachter Yat

Yeah, you may be right.  Guess there's only one way to find out for sure.  Keep in mind, I don't think you'd ever be able to "full throttle" a fuel nozzle in these tanks.  I know I could never do it.  That said, cutting that neck may at least speed the fueling-up process to a point where it's tolerable.

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Yes, I'm not looking for full throttle, as you said tolerable

Rokefin

FDV  that is a very thick filler neck and hopefully that could be the problem, I mentioned on page 4 that it might be a good idea to chamfer the ID of that filler opening....nothing to lose at this point. Next step would be to put a mast and sheet on top and turn her into a sail boat :facepalm:

Were all very hopeful for a solution as this headache has grown into a big nightmare.

croaker stroker

Good idea Yat... :clap: :bowdown:....   Chamfer the neck.

Stuff something like a rag or hunk of foam in the hole tied to a length of Spectra leash.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

It sounds like you're leaning towards widening the ID. I'll have some time tonight and I'll try and pull the hose off and get a measurement.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

croaker stroker

I wonder if they increased the thickness of the new tanks to make them less permeable?

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Yachter Yat

Croaker, that's a damned good question.  Judging by the pictures AJ and Fisher posted, you'd swear that might be the case.  Sounds like this could qualify as a "Dear Arima" inquiry.  Also, seems to me, anybody replacing a fuel tank might want to know this. 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Quote from: AJFishin on January 09, 2018, 09:37:30 AM
It sounds like you're leaning towards widening the ID. I'll have some time tonight and I'll try and pull the hose off and get a measurement.
AJ, it's ok, no need to measure. It's kind of a pain to take that hose off. I think the pics clearly show that mine is smaller. I'm not going to try to widen the whole neck, just maybe try to take some of the square edge off

Fisherdv

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on January 09, 2018, 09:39:14 AM

I wonder if they increased the thickness of the new tanks to make them less permeable?

The main body of the tank is not very thick, only the vent and filler. There are regulations regarding the minimum hole diameter (7/16) for the vent and I don't remember what it is for the filler. I think these tank manufacturers are lacking a bit of quality control here. I mean, it's a gas tank, you should be able to put gas IN it :hoboy:

Fisherdv

I'm going to try putting a smaller diameter hose inside the 1 1/2 in ID filler hose as the fellow wrote in the post I copied on page 9, #223. I found a fuel hose that is 1 1/2 OD that should fit perfectly in the filler hose so that would eliminate any hang ups on the filler neck from the tank. Essentially making it a straight shot, the same diameter, the whole way into the tank. Hopefully that will at least test the theory of the filler neck thickness restricting the flow. One way or the other I'm going to get this figured out. (Hopefully)

AJFishin

Another option, if your hose option doesn't quite work to well, is to maybe use something similar to this: :shrug9:

Fisherdv

Quote from: AJFishin on January 10, 2018, 07:15:07 PM
Another option, if your hose option doesn't quite work to well, is to maybe use something similar to this: :shrug9:

I was just looking at those today! Lol. Where did you see that one? I like that it's metal. I just may have to "force feed" this tank  :jester:

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

I can imagine the look on the Chevron attendants face when he sees me snap on my rubber gloves, and pull out that funnel. I could tell him I'm giving my boat a prostate exam 😷 He's  probably got the EPA on speed dial! 🤪 :jester:

AJFishin

They're called Justrite funnels. You can get them on Amazon or WalMart $20

Fisherdv

I put a little bit of a bevel on the inside top edge of the filler neck to take a bit of the square edge lip off. Was very easy to do with a sharp razor and a sock stuffed in the hole to prevent shavings dropping in. It was almost like cutting candle wax it shaved so easy. Guess what, no bueno! Gas still coming back out the filler and now the vent every time as well. How with a half empty tank and all that air space does the fuel rise up and come out the vent??? Is pressure building up? If so why.? Is vent hole still not large enough? I opened it up to 3/8 but regulations specs say 9/16 or 7/16 MINIMUM. In that case my vent is still a 1/16 to 1/8 in too small. I even unhitched from the truck and raised the trailer jack all the way up. Why is the gas not staying down? A simple 3-5 minute fill up is taking me 20-25 minutes by the time I fill the tank and clean up all the spilled gas mess. I mean, I cannot even pump gas with any kind of steady flow, it's stop and go or a trickle at a time  :doh: :doh: :doh:

Yachter Yat

Wow!  I'm stumped!  Maybe it is the vent???  Gonna have to sleep on this one, Fisher. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

3WT, you were right, beveling the filler didn't seem to help. I have to try all options at this point.

Yachter Yat

Okay, here's another "shot-in-the-dark":  Do you suppose there could be some kind of "burr" in that tank?  What I mean is, some piece of plastic inside the tank, (maybe a glitch from the molding process) sticking out inside the tank just enough to catch, and thereby, upset the fuel flow?  If nothing else, I suppose looking down into the filler neck and checking could put this one to bed.  Like I said.....a "shot-in-the-dark".  :shrug9:

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

I looked down the filler neck, no burrs that I could see. I really can't understand why fuel is coming out the vent also. With a half tank of gas there is about 10 inches or so of air. So how does the fuel rise up through all that air space and find its way all the way up the and out the vent hose? Pressure build up??? Vent hole at the tank still not large enough? I don't see how if it was splashing it could get all the way up a curved, small diameter hose with enough force to come out the p-trap vent

Threeweight

Gas will foam and aerate when you pump it.  My guess is you are pumping from a pretty high speed pump, with a decent drop from the nozzle to the fuel level in the tank.  It's causing it to foam and aerate, and the aerated gas is foaming up and out the fill and vent.

Only solution is to slow down the pump.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Fisherdv

I've tried a few different gas stations and same result. I know I'm not going to be able to fill full throttle but I can't even squeeze the nozzle at the lowest, constant flow level without the spill over. So basically I have to squeeze light as possible, stop completely, sqeeze as light as possible, stop and so on. There is no way I can fill with the nozzle flowing constantly even at the lowest flow setting

AJFishin

Have you tried putting gas in with a gas can and seeing what happens?

I'm curious if that flow would work better :shrug9:

I know my 5 gallon gas can with the fancy safely nozzle, pours gas in slower and takes a breather every 5 or 10 seconds as it's pouring in.

If that works, one of these might be in your future.