News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

12V Electric Trailer Winch -- Pro's and Con's ? ? ?

Started by Old No7, May 03, 2024, 07:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old No7

Geez, maybe I am getting old...

The Admiral thinks that I, the Captain, work too hard at cranking the winch to put my 19' Sea Ranger back on the trailer after we use it for the weekend.  It's really not that difficult, but takes a few cranks for sure.  She says she wants to get me a 12V Electric Trailer Winch for Father's Day and my birthday, which are a week apart.

I'm not so sure I need it...

I have a pretty good idea of some of the pro's of using one -- but what are the con's or downsides?

I tried a search but got too many hits for "electric" or "winch", but not as the phrase.

Any thoughts?

Old No7
"A bad day on an Arima, is better than a good day at work!"

croaker stroker

Downside for me would be installing the tow-vehicle wiring harness.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

davidsea

May be different for a bunk trailer, but with my rollers, little or no tension on the strap makes for a way-too-fast launch.  I've tried controlling it with a bow line, but even wearing gloves it's a little hard on the hands.  The old winch that was on the trailer when I bought the boat needed replacement, so I upgraded to a 2-speed winch with a brake and a 3" wide drum, plus a heavy-duty 3" strap with SS hook.
  Now, I can put the winch in 'neutral' to launch and control speed with the brake - no more wildly spinning handle.  Retrieving, 80% is done in 'high' gear, but switch to 'low' for the last few feet of pull.  Added bonus - with the 3" strap, very little stretch and need to retighten when dry and towing. Works for this old guy, and WAY cheaper than power.
  My problem with electrics is slow speed, both in and out, questionable reliability, and the hassle of circuit breaker and BIG cable from the tow rig battery to the winch.
   I've said that when I can't launch/load solo, I'm done - so far, I'm still out there. :wink:

P1010865 (1).JPG
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

AJFishin

I had one on my SC17 and used it one time. I ran wires from my truck battery to the electric winch when at the ramp. Tried out and it was slow going. Decided it wasn't worth the hassle to make a permanent harness for it.

The winch I have on my SR19 looks the same as David's and it works great and pulls my boat up with ease, but I also have rollers.
I wrap my bowline around the top of my winch tower to hold my boat in place. Then unhook and let the winch tower control the speed of my boat going into the water. I have to back in deep so things are bit different with my set up though.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Yachter Yat

For those who haven't noticed, the common thread between David's and AJ's comments is that they both have roller trailers.  Same with me.  I never needed a power winch with my roller trailers either.  Just sayin'. :shrug9:

Yat

Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

beancounter

I like a big 2 speed manual winch like davidsea advocates. I have bought boats with the electric winch and it is more trouble than it's worth in my book.
No different bunk or roller. Powerload with a bunk and the winch is just for holding the bow eye.

davidsea

Depends on your setup of winch/bowstop/boat, but it's often possible to lengthen the winch crank by welding on an extra piece.  A few inches added makes a surprising difference in leverage.

Fisherdv

I always just back the trailer down just enough to where I can just walk the boat from the dock right up to the bow stop or a few feet from it. Stand on my truck tailgate and just a few cranks if even that, and boats on. Really easy. Good boat guides are really nice to have. Mine are about 4ft long bunk style guides.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

davidsea

:yeahthat:
   Long, well-placed and padded side bunks are the answer if you ever load on unprotected ramps, with side winds, wakes or tide/river current.  I had to replace the carpet on mine last year - it was wearing down to bare wood at the back corners. While I had the bunks off and carpet removed, I routered a small radius on all the wood to get rid of the sharp edges.
  I/O poly carpet from Home Depot seems to be exactly like the cut and packaged stuff from marine stores, and a yard of it off the roll will replace my 4' bunk coverings 2 or 3 times.  SS staples (like Arrow 1/2" #508SS1) are worth the extra $ and will outlast the carpet.

KEM KAI

Agree, our ramps have a heavy surf surge so side guides are a must for easy p/u.  I have rollers with a short center bunk to walk on to hook the winch so don't have to get wet.  I'm lucky cause I just line up the boat in the side guides and the Captain(wife) just powers it in and I just hook the winch on and tighten it up. If solo then I just power in myself hook up then shut the motor off. 2X12X8 ft carpeted center bunk keeps the boat from hitting the cross member.

amazing grace

Get a quality two speed manual crank winch. You will be a happy camper.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Nanserbe

I actually just removed the electric winch from my roller trailer.

Being able to feel if the boat is binding or not quite right is important to me.

Along with that, I've seen one too many off-road winches get stuck in the engaged position due to switches & moisture so I have trust issues that the boat eyelet wouldn't get ripped off.
2003 19' Sea Ranger HT
2015 Honda BF115
2015 Yamaha T9.9

Redhawk

We have starboard on our bunks and I won't own another bunk trailer without it. I can push the boat off with just the aft 2 feet floating and if I go at the trailer at a few mph it will slide probably 2/3 on. You'd still be winching, but it's much less work than carpeted bunks. I cut it so that it follows the center-most strakes exactly so it centers naturally.
Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

Old No7

SORRY I hadn't gotten to reply to this yet, but THANKS for all the input above.

Turns out that...

(a) My trailer's winch is indeed a 2-speed, and I had just never bothered to change gears for loading.  But I did it the other day and while it did take a few more cranks (maybe 2X? I never counted...) they were easier to crank for sure, especially for the last 3 feet when she's totally out of the water and on the rollers.

(b) My reviews (done before step (a) above was tried) of 12V boat trailer winches showed that a spend of $500 or more was likely needed to get a really good one.  Sure, there's a $100 one from Harbor Freight, and a few no-make $200 models, but they won't get a dime of my money.

So, I'll just use the low gear on any ramps where it's needed, and I'll save quite a few $$ -- and avoid all the hassles and pitfalls of the electric winch.

Old No7
"A bad day on an Arima, is better than a good day at work!"