News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Sorry Woody

Started by La-Z-Buoy, May 31, 2012, 10:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La-Z-Buoy

Woody,

I'm so sorry. I have gone over to the "Dark Side"--------------------------AND I LIKE IT  :dance: !  Finally got Seattleflyfisher's Honda 90 mounted, rigged and tested out and and the fuel tank cleaned out and repaired. Went boating yesterday to test out and went Pinkfin (migrating Surf Perch) fishing today. The motor starts/runs/idles perfectly. I'm sure the mileage is better also. Do think I will need to re-prop. At WOT with two people I'm running about 5500rpm. Should be 6k. Don't really know if that's too big of an issue though. I'm running a 13.25X17. I gotta say this may be the last motor I need. They have a good rep for dependability. And of course the Arima will last forever also.

Again Woody, sorry. You should "give in to the dark side Luke". I know you will like it  :biggrin: .

And Darren, thanks, Bonnie and I are going to have a lot of fun with this boat and motor.

Richard

Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

ak-angler

1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

GoodDays

Woooooooooooodyyyyyyy,  Woooooooooooooooooodyyyyy,  Woooooooooooooooooooddyyyyyyyyyyyy    :beerchug: :biggrin:

GoodDays Greg  :fishing:

Old No7

Luv my Honda 4S, so good luck with yours too!

My Honda BF130 (on a 19' Sea Ranger) had a 17-pitch prop when I got it used.  I dropped down in pitch by 2" to a 13X15 (4-blade), and it bumped up my RPMs right to where they should be -- 6k, just like yours, at WOT.  The hole shot and overall performance were much improved too.

I strongly believe the RPM delta you mention is too much and that you should prop the boat to run at max RPMs at WOT.  That way, there's no risk of lugging the motor at all other speeds.

BoatUS reports that most boaters only run at WOT ~6% of the time anyhow, so it's the 94% of the time when you want to protect your motor by having the right prop.

Good luck!

Old No7
"A bad day on an Arima, is better than a good day at work!"

amazing grace

Honda's are great motor's. It is said a lot about a lot of things. But I think Honda's line should be "bullet Proof" They truly are. Enjoy many years of excellent service from that power plant.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead