News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Gelcoat Color Match Company, Alternative To Spectrum Color

Started by AJFishin, April 06, 2021, 12:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJFishin

Fibre Glast is a company that sells quarts and gallons of gelcoat that can closely match your boats color for a lot less than Spectrum Color.
To get a specific color, it would be best to rent their "Instint" color book for $5 and find the color that best matches your boat.

If using their color book to find a color, write down the code, for example: J200. Then on the gelcoat main page, pick a color for example: Signal White and add it to your cart.
BEFORE you check out, in the instructions section type there what custom color you are wanting to purchase.
It would also be smart to give them a call after placing your order to confirm they received your custom color request.
As of now, the cost for a quart of custom color with shipping is about $90.

In case one day this link is dead, look under Resins and Coatings, then Resins and Gel Coats.
https://www.fibreglast.com/category/colorgelcoat

Thread regarding Fibre Glast.
http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=20636.0

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

AJFishin

I just order some custom color gelcoat from them and they have changed the way to order custom colors. The above way is NOW incorrect.

You must call the company and tell them what color you want from their color match book and they will help you with billing and everything else. I order my color on Tuesday and I got it today, Friday.

Willett Float

Thanks for the great tip and clearly laying out ordering instructions.  What is your project ahead? 
1990 19' Sea Hunter - Began Restoration May 2019 -  2006 Mercury 115 EFI  - Big Lake, WA

AJFishin

I want to redo my dashboards again since they didn't come out the way I would have like them to look, plus a few areas on the top half of the boat. I don't have time now to take my time mixing gelcoat, so I decided to spend the $90 and get a quart, 1 and done.

Keel-er

Which gelcoat did you buy? I see they have Guard, Kote, Sanding and Shield gel coats along with Vinyl Ester.  They all say used for boat/yacht building but which is appropriate for our use?  I see they have a Dune Beige color and wonder if that is somewhat of a standard color and not necessarily Arima specific?
1986 Sea Ranger 17 "Nancy Lyn"-Sold
2020 Yamaha F90
1995 Sea Ranger 19
2023 Tohatsu 140
2020 Yamaha 9.9

AJFishin

To be honest, I went off of the link above in the "Color Gel Coat" section, when I was ordering which was their "682 gelcoat". But since I was ordering a mixed color, I had to call them to place my order. The gelcoat they offer does NOT have wax, so you will need some liquid PVA to spray on to make it cure.
Also the gelcoat I purchased was not an exact match, J200 which was more of an off white. I order this color so I can mix my own color since my boat has different tones from the years of being in the weather.

I would highly suggest renting their Instint color book to find your best color it will also make sense of these codes.

Closest color of the Arima dune beige for the hull of my year boat I found from them was G109 and H109. My 96 SC16 I found X134 to be fairly close.
Top cap of the boat I believe was X113, but not 100% sure.

Keel-er

I had to take my son to Seattle for a college thing at Boeing so I visited Fiberlay and talked with them.  They've got a standard palette of colors that is pretty close as well and they're $60/quart so I'm looking at one of their egg shell/cream colors and may do some adjusting if needed.  My boat has also faded from the years so I'm expecting my splashwell to look a bit interesting with slight color changes when I'm done.  Interesting that they also have a Dune Beige but it's much darker than Spectrums.
2020 Yamaha F90
1995 Sea Ranger 19
2023 Tohatsu 140
2020 Yamaha 9.9

ohmytodd

Quote from: Keel-er on August 04, 2021, 11:50:00 AM
I had to take my son to Seattle for a college thing at Boeing so I visited Fiberlay and talked with them.  They've got a standard palette of colors that is pretty close as well and they're $60/quart so I'm looking at one of their egg shell/cream colors and may do some adjusting if needed.  My boat has also faded from the years so I'm expecting my splashwell to look a bit interesting with slight color changes when I'm done.  Interesting that they also have a Dune Beige but it's much darker than Spectrums.

If you end up with a surplus let me know and I'll be happy to split cost with you. I have some spots I need to redo and my match from scratch efforts have been spotty at best. The closer I can start the better off I'll be.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

Keel-er

Okay.  I only ordered a quart but I'll probably have some leftover.
2020 Yamaha F90
1995 Sea Ranger 19
2023 Tohatsu 140
2020 Yamaha 9.9