News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Arimas and TUNA!

Started by Threeweight, March 01, 2011, 11:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

The ones pictured are actually to keep the tuna alive (for bait). They force water through the tunas gills. But I think something similar with a drain outboard for bleeding without the mess on the deck. You could also add ice/brine.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

Those are probably little 2-3# bonito (skipjack tuna) in the image... we used them as bait in Mexico... had something slice one in half like a pair of scissors  :bigshock:

Not sure that is practical for bleeding albacore... the goal is something to keep blood out of the boat, and a tube arrangement doesn't leave room to brain spike and cut their gills.  Would have to do it outside the tube, which is what caused the bloodbath with the 5 gallon buckets  :doh:  I also like to remove the gills and guts from my fish before they go on ice.

In my friends Stabicraft, he has a big 40 gallon bait tank in the transom... we gaff fish and as they come in the boat drop them in the tank (they are only over the deck for a second or two).  Then we spike them in the tank, then cut their gills and drop them in a bleed barrel strapped to his offshore bracket.  MUCH cleaner. 

I'm thinking about adding a small ladder/swim plaftform on the starboard sponson, then mounting my 20 gallon trash can there for bleeding fish.  Then again, maybe I just need a bigger boat  :arms: .

This is one area where the 22' Sea Legend really shines... self bailing decks, just turn the wash down on and blast the blood and gore out of the scuppers.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

finfinn

No, my friend. What you need is the big Whaler your wife liked at the Seattle Boat Show :jester:. Or maybe a Grady. Mid-sized Arimas and tuna combo definitely has its challenges, but building something that fits the sponson might work. Shawn had a big garbage can on his 21, half filled with ice slush. It works OK, but you still get bloody deck. Self bailing deck would definitely be a benefit. So see you in Seattle showtime?
Had a glorious SR19 Finnesse.
You can not change the length of your life, but boating does increase its width and depth.

StreamFixer

The 'tubing' you are looking for is PVC Sewer Pipe.  Looks like 12"?  It comes in 20 foot lengths.  The first 6" has a bell, but is still useable.  Get together with a couple of friends and buy one joint, cut up and share. 

Some of the utility supply yards have pipe that has sat out for more than a year (cannot be used for construction) and will likely 'deal' on that material.  They usually just throw it away after a year in the yard.

You can get caps, Tees, Wyes, all the various fittings.  Often that can be glued joint (get the glue at Home Depot, et al.).  Then it's just a matter of plumbing and mounting.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

croaker stroker

Quote from: Threeweight on November 01, 2012, 10:37:58 PM
Those are probably little 2-3# bonito (skipjack tuna) in the image... we used them as bait in Mexico...

They are 17 3/4" across. (Roughly 8")  but I was thinking more like Streamfixer suggested.

had something slice one in half like a pair of scissors  :bigshock:   .....  Marlin

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

Quote from: finfinn on November 01, 2012, 11:29:00 PM
So see you in Seattle showtime?

We'll probably go up for the weekend and take in the show.  Yes, Katherine's is favorably inclined towards a Boston Whaler Conquest 255.  Unfortunately, our bank account is not  :doh:

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

Quote from: Threeweight on November 02, 2012, 09:34:28 AM
Quote from: finfinn on November 01, 2012, 11:29:00 PM
So see you in Seattle showtime?

We'll probably go up for the weekend and take in the show.  Yes, Katherine's is favorably inclined towards a Boston Whaler Conquest 255.  Unfortunately, our bank account is not  :doh:

My son is selling his....  $42,000

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

We are a few years off from that kind of $$$$ upgrade.  But I'm curious what your and his thoughts on the boat are, and why he's selling.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

3WT,

He has a business that requires his full time attention, so he doesn't use it enough to justify the expense. Also, he thought his family would use it more...but they don't. He keeps it covered in a "dry stack" storage in Newport Harbor. ($600+ per mo.) He has two 115hp 4S Yamaha's which have very low hours. It's a big, heavy boat. The boat runs in 2' to 3' chop at 30 mph. They usually go for $10-$15,000 more From a dealer. Very reliable. I think he may buy a smaller boat which he can store in his warehouse.

Sometimes smaller is better.  :biggrin: (like my 15 footer)

CS

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bod/3378585417.html

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Danno

Something strange there Mark. The 255 is a 25' boat and the twin 115s suggest that but the ad says 30'.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

croaker stroker

Quote from: Danno on November 02, 2012, 06:14:34 PM
Something strange there Mark. The 255 is a 25' boat and the twin 115s suggest that but the ad says 30'.

You would think it is 25.5' long, but It's actually 30' long. (26'11" plus the motors, anchor roller, etc.) If you put it in a slip, you have to rent a 30' slip.  :shrug9:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Tunacious

I read the post from Ifish and I am not concerned about fishing for tuna with an Arima.  This last year was my first year tuna fishing and I cant wait for next year.  My best one day trip was 41 fish.  Could have caught more but ran out of room.  Going 30 plus miles in my 21 ft arima has not concerned me at all.  I do pick my days and watch the weather.  I have all the safety gear including a life raft and epirp.  I have been making some modifications to my boat so I can hold more fish next year.  I just had saddle tanks installed and I am contemplating what to do with changing my seating arrangements.  I try to keep the weight distributed but always noticed my ride back loaded down with fish was a much better ride than going out.  It takes me longer to get out there and longer to get back than some of the boats but I have learned to be patient on the trips in and out.  I don't like pounding the boat. Maybe there is some truth about an arima having too clean of a hull but I have not noticed it.
Penquin

wedocq

Penguin,
I would love for you to start a new thread and tell us all about your first season as a commercial tuna fisherman, your ideas for more more fish space, fishing techniques, etc. We can compare notes!
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Tunacious

Penguin,
I would love for you to start a new thread and tell us all about your first season as a commercial tuna fisherman, your ideas for more more fish space, fishing techniques, etc. We can compare notes!
-Shawn

Shawn,
OK, I will do it. Just keep in mind I am far from an expert.  My first time fishing in my own boat for tuna this year I was a commercial fisherman  :bigshock:
What I did learn is there are a lot of hoops to jump through to be legal  :hoboy:

Now, tuna fishing is all I want to do.  :smile1:
Penquin

wedocq

Penguin,
I hear ya, lots to learn. I was lucky enough to hook up with a real good partner who learned a lot the year before fishing with Team Defiance. He's the type of fisherman that can jump on anybody's boat and if there's fish out there, he's gonna plug the boat. Lot's of fun, and I learned a lot. Anybody can catch tuna when it's hot, the trick is knowing how to catch 'em when it's slow, or how to find them when no one else is. I removed the storage seat on the passenger side, an put a half tote in it's spot. With ice, I can put about 15-20 tuna in it, depending on size.
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Zarn

I run a 5-7 line spread on my 17sr. Two in "fish on" rod holders off the corners, two on the rear flush mount rod holders, one on the gas tank cover in the vertical (3) rod holder area and 2-4 hand lines. Two of the handlines set on the rear cleats and two on divwer/planers off the tie down strap U-bolts. It gets a little busy when I hit the trips or quad. I do not use a bleed bucket. Dem tunas are gaffed, cut, tail wrapped a sent over the side to bleed out while I reset the spread> After hookups they are gutted, gilled and into the floor box or bags. The boat never stops only slow to dead slow to keep the remaining lines left out straight. I swear this on my bungee cord auto pilot... it does its job too.

I run w/ an extra 15 gal, 10 gals placed in the companion seat which is plumbed directly to two way shutoff valve set just before my fuel filter, 5 gal stowed just forward of that. She can carry 9-11 depending of size w/ 140lbs of salted ice on board. Makes for a well balanced and under limit load. The new ETEC burns between 16-18gal R/T on a flat ocean running to the 30-35 line. BTW I really pick my days and have triple backups on everything regarding communication and navigation. Next year I may actually solicit a deck hand.
SOLD... 87'SR, Blue Stripe/Top & ETEC 90, Honda 8, Arima owner... 11 years. Gonna miss her but I'll still be around here.

Remember....when attacked by a clown posse always go for the juggler first.

Threeweight

Zarn, we always seem to find a ton of blue sharks later in summer when we fish jumpers.  Particularly if we try to chum or drift dead bait to keep the pod up.  I don't think bleeding them out in the water would work for us. 

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Zarn

I should have clairfied all the Tuna fishing accomplished on my vessel is during early to mid season troll show, as flat conditions permit and as long as the main concentration of fish is between the 15-35 line West. It tough to get a bait stop going solo (don't ask me how I know this...  :whistle:) Being on the constant move even with bleeders in the water negates or at least minimizes shark activity or you can move out of the immediate area and roll back through your numbers a bit later. Over the past two seasons (knock on wood) I have my family, friends and those I know in need taken care of for the year by August week two.

As the run, & gun, extended bait stop routine takes over these fish are usually out of my range so either I am inshore concentrating on other species or crewing on other vessels if I need a fix. Yes I have seen on numerous occasions just collateral blood over the side or washing down a vessel on a bait stop or anytime really lcan ans will lead to increased dog populations and the associated PITA.
SOLD... 87'SR, Blue Stripe/Top & ETEC 90, Honda 8, Arima owner... 11 years. Gonna miss her but I'll still be around here.

Remember....when attacked by a clown posse always go for the juggler first.