News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Welcome me!!

Started by dogobat, August 02, 2020, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogobat

Brought home an '84 Seahunter yesterday. Really, really clean, trailer looks brand new, canvas is spotless - have to put a clutch in the truck, then find out if it floats!! Finally got an Arima! The wood panels are in real good shape, but could use refinishing - anybody got any good tips for making the wood look spiffy?
Dogobat
La Conner, WA
Sea Hunter, 50 Johnson

Hunter

Welcome aboard.....   I got no tips on refinishing wood....    But a lot of folks remove it, then use is as their templates and replace it with Starboard.   I could be wrong but don't think you can really sand it.   I don't think it's really wood.   Just a picture of wood. 
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

headduck

:yeahthat:

It's a laminate. A good cleaning prolly best you can do...or if you're feeling froggy, sand, fill and apply new laminate. Wilsonart sells a tons of varieties.

Welcome aboard. Let fun begin.  :mememe:
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

dogobat

was thinking about the ol' wax and turpentine with 000 steel wool, pretty good solution with dark laminate......now if I can remember where I put the wax........hoping someone will chime in with alternatives, will be in the salt most of the time.
Dogobat
La Conner, WA
Sea Hunter, 50 Johnson

GregE

Congrats on your Arima-  you're understandably exited..   

The wood is teak plywood with vinyl applique.  Treat the exposed wood edges with waterproofing, just clean the vinyl.  Judy used her paints to match the wood patterns on some worn spots on the SE 16 we had

Add a general location in your signature will help us picture where you are and help answer questions about launches, fishing etc

And------------  we need Pictures!!   :wink:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

dogobat

thought it might be teak - there's no vinyl on mine. Pics coming - noobie hasn't read the upload/attach pics section........
Dogobat
La Conner, WA
Sea Hunter, 50 Johnson

AJFishin

Welcome aboard !

An alternative is going with Starboard which can be purchased in a 4x8 sheet you can then cut out using your own panels as templates.
Check out King Board and the color I believe is Sea Foam White at 1/2" thickness, needs to be double checked, but not cheap.

Otherwise like Headduck mention, Wilsonart laminates.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser