News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Anyone watching pro sports now?

Started by AJFishin, July 28, 2020, 08:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJFishin

I was seeing if anyone else is watching the live pro games that are going on now, baseball, hockey, soccer, and what you think of the games and this artificial atmosphere?

Last week I started watching baseball and finally the NHL started today with a week of exhibition games till the round robin playoffs start this weekend.

It's actually not bad to watch on TV with the "crowd" being pumped in over the arenas/stadiums speakers and it still kind of feels like watching a normal season game on TV, till you see the empty stands.
Overall it's not bad and I'm happy to see some live sports happening.

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

amazing grace

yes, baseball. Glad it is on. No fans, not great. But better than no baseball, imho. Go Mariners.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Fisherdv

I watched a couple baseball games and it's not bad. Don't even really notice after a bit.

I don't see it lasting long though considering what already happened.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

La-Z-Buoy

I remember watching some NASCAR races some years ago where you could catch glimpses of the stands and they were NOT full. Seemed like they purposely avoided showing the stands showing a lack of fans. Now there's none and the race seems the same if they don't show the stands. 
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Wiley

Really glad to have some to watch...  really appreciate the players,teAms,leagues efforts...  really hope it doesn't turn bad... 
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

Habberdasher

I am in a pool of thirty golf teams and my team even includes Tiger I am DFL the good news is the guy that comes in last gets in for free next year I am just going to go fishing instead of watching golf
1988 Sea Hunter 60 Suzuki 5hp Mariner
1958 9 ft moulded birch 1958 3 hp Johnston and a 30 pound electric

Danno

I'm not much of a baseball fan any more. It's good to see them playing but when I heard the canned cheers, I turned it off.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

AJFishin

It was great to watch 3 NHL games last night and the players are giving it everything on the ice and not holding back, which was my only concern they would sand bag, but so far that hasn't been the case.
There are only few things that make you realize there's no fans, but the way they're doing it by keeping tight game play shots makes for a more entertaining game.
With baseball and the large stadiums, you always see the empty seats and it takes away a little bit out of the game, but overall it's not to bad and it's live spots.
It's different, but a thousand times better then having to hear Coronavirus, protests, Coronavirus, protests, Coronavirus, protests, shoved down our throats 24/7.

I just hope nothing bad happens and it can continue for the rest of the seasons and hopefully, hopefully by next year fans will be back in the seats acting rowdy. :stooges:

Yachter Yat

Sports?   You're kidding!  I'd suggest you start watching the cooking shows.  Haha

Yat 
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

AJFishin

Quote from: Yachter Yat on July 29, 2020, 01:48:17 PM
     Sports?   You're kidding!  I'd suggest you start watching the cooking shows.  Haha

Yat

Here you go Yat, you can watch sports, shopping, and cooking all in one show  :jester:

Yachter Yat

Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

headduck

Used to work big time rassling wwe/WWF monday nitro type stuff... they would pay us good money to spread black tarp over the empty sections so they wouldnt read on TV.

Not the same for sure...but the experience at home was not any worse or better than if the crowd was full.

Perhaps other sports need to catchup up with the savvy media of "sports" like rassling.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

disposable

I've been disappointed by nba bubble scrimmages...until I found myself loving today's LAL/LAC game. I was telling my wife how exciting it was to watch and attributed this to a long-standing rivalry, but she said "no, silly, it's the canned noises"! I realized the usually quiet indoor game had been improved by sampled crowd and floor noises. Which leads me to wonder: is it piped in for broadcast or do the players hear it? Anybody know?
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

AJFishin

Quote from: disposable on July 30, 2020, 09:13:38 PM
I've been disappointed by nba bubble scrimmages...until I found myself loving today's LAL/LAC game. I was telling my wife how exciting it was to watch and attributed this to a long-standing rivalry, but she said "no, silly, it's the canned noises"! I realized the usually quiet indoor game had been improved by sampled crowd and floor noises. Which leads me to wonder: is it piped in for broadcast or do the players hear it? Anybody know?

I'm not 100% sure with the NBA, but with the NHL and MLB, players hear the crowd as it's played over the speakers in the arenas and stadiums. They want the players to be able to hear it so it gives them the sensation of fans in the stands.
Then it's enhanced for TV broadcast, but it's the same sounds the players are hearing.
As for the floor noises that's real, that's not artificial. There are mics strategically place around the playing surface for TV broadcasts, but this is done during normal times too.
If you watch a NHL game you can see the mics that are taped to the top of glass above the blue lines on both sides, in the corners and behind the goalies.
Fox Sports is going to put computer generated "virtual" fans moving around in MLB stands, that will obviously only be seen on TV, but it's to give the games a realistic look when watching on TV.
https://wreg.com/news/fox-will-use-virtual-fans-during-mlb-games/