News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Dropping and retrieving anchor was easy

Started by Fisherdv, December 20, 2017, 03:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

Quote from: Danno on December 31, 2017, 10:19:36 AM
Fisherdv, does your anchor have a break-away chain where the chain is bolted to the base of the anchor but you use zip ties at the top? This really helps on stubborn anchor holds and is the main feature of the rocker anchors so you never have to worry about leaving an anchor behind.

A couple of tips which apply more to hog lines when anchored: You can pull your rode in a couple of feet and wrap it around one of the cleat adjacent to the bow to shift your position to starboard or port. Similarly, you can turn your outboard one direction or the other to move you about three or four feet over.

No break away chain, I'm not sure I follow how that works.  :shrug9:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

croaker stroker

I have one of those aluminum anchors that I never use because they are so darn expensive. I have used Danforth anchors for fourty years and never had an issue. Then, I bought one of those 11 lb Lewmar claw anchors on EBay. They really hold much better than the Danforth....and, considering the price of a Fortress, you can afford to loose one now and then.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lewmar-57905-Claw-Anchor-17-22-11lb/391188439049?epid=1542101552&hash=item5b14a5e009:g:GpkAAOSw2GlXHsha&vxp=mtr

I consider my anchor a safety device... As a last resort before being washed into the rocks or on the beach.

I have used the zip tie method and it works great. But, if you use that method, you really need a second anchor that would not break-away in an emergency.  Rather than using zip ties....I buy cheap anchors.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

I have the danforth style anchor now and it works great but it's heavy especially with a good amount of chain. Those claws work well too. I guess I want the lightest, but still able to hold anchor to save my back. Sometimes I run to several different spots in a day Sturgeon fishing and many times I'll just stay in a spot that isn't productive because I just don't want to lift the anchor. Me and one of my fishing buddies used to have a rule, if we took his boat, I would have anchor duty, if we were on mine, he would. I would love to just have a windless but I think my boats to small to accommodate it

Yachter Yat

Fisher, I hear you.  Yanking on an anchor has never really been one of my favorite sports.  That's one of the reasons for the Fortress.

Yeah......a little expensive, Croaker, but for a guy with your money? :whistle:  Ebay shows some FX7 anchors for around $120, free shipping.  You might do slightly better with a little looking, I suppose.  I can tell you this:  I'm spoiled!  If ever lossed mine, I'd definitely have to replace it. 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

I am old and weak, so I use this method.....no muscle needed.   :jester:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-7v8uiDWFnE

Yat,  I am very cheap. I can't bring myself to throw away a $120 anchor. The fact that I bought it for $20 at a garage sale doesn't matter.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

StreamFixer

Fisherdv

On our double tine on a cross piece plus 24" +/- shank river anchors, designed for use in rocks and gravel, i.e., not sandy bottom, the chain is shackled to the bottom, or cross, part of the anchor.  The chain is then strung along the shank of the anchor where it is zip tied to the loop in the top of the anchor.  Zip ties come in various breaking strength. I use 75# zips.  In the event the anchor is fouled when trying to retrieve in the normal manner (top of shank first) a good hard pull will break the zip tie allowing the anchor to be lifted from the bottom (cross).  Unless the chain is fouled (seldom occurs unless a reef or wreckage is involved) you will likely pull the anchor loose from whatever was fouling it.  Then you apply a new zip tie and you are set to go.

I have only lost one anchor.  A collapsible 30# rock anchor ($130 gift).  I did not realize I had lost it until I had tied off the rode, but kept drifting downstream.  We found the shackle pin on the floor...  Anchor plus chain still sitting on the bottom I am sure.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

AJFishin

I have a cheapo slip ring anchor and has worked good for me. It's got stuck in the mud in a few times, but I've always get it back.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Fisherdv

Quote from: AJFishin on December 31, 2017, 04:52:25 PM
I have a cheapo slip ring anchor and has worked good for me. It's got stuck in the mud in a few times, but I've always get it back.
I wondered about those. I guess that slip ring is designed so you drive forward and the ring slides to the front and pulls the anchor out. I always thought they looked to light to me to hold well

Fisherdv

Quote from: Yachter Yat on December 31, 2017, 11:25:24 AM

Fisher, I hear you.  Yanking on an anchor has never really been one of my favorite sports.  That's one of the reasons for the Fortress.

Yeah......a little expensive, Croaker, but for a guy with your money? :whistle:  Ebay shows some FX7 anchors for around $120, free shipping.  You might do slightly better with a little looking, I suppose.  I can tell you this:  I'm spoiled!  If ever lossed mine, I'd definitely have to replace it. 

Yat
$99 at West Marine, free shipping

Omega3

I use an EZ Marine puller.No way I am pulling up 600' of line and 25' of 5/16 chain by hand!
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

croaker stroker

Quote from: Fisherdv on January 01, 2018, 08:07:18 PM
Quote from: Yachter Yat on December 31, 2017, 11:25:24 AM

Yat
$99 at West Marine, free shipping

Fortress guardian is $76 on Amazon.  ....free shipping for Prime members.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Yachter Yat

The Guardian is their economy line.  Not a bad price though.

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Dang it Yat, look what you made me do!!!  :biggrin:

Yachter Yat

:jester:  Sorry Fisher..........I can't help myself.  :jester:  Seriously though, I believe that's one purchase you won't regret.  :wink:

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

You know, I almost bought that anchor a while ago, I even had it in my hand at West Marine but I needed some other stuff first so I put it down. My traditional danforth type anchor has done me very well for many years but I'm just getting tired of the weight of it. The Fortress is at least half the weight

Yachter Yat

Hey, BTW, you said that anchor was $99 at West Marine.  I did a search on their site and couldn't seem to find that.  Wonder if it's something exclusive to the West Coast, or what??   Don't mean to be presumptuous, but is that what you paid? 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Omega3

I have 3 anchors.Manson extreme which was a waste of money even on sale for 50.00.A lightweight no name Danforth copy that holds ok.A Real Danforth 13S that sticks and holds everytime.Nothing creates more work than an anchor that slips.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Fisherdv

I agree about the danforth anchors, I've had mine for over 20 years. Hopefully this lightweight Fortress anchor will live up to its reviews and reputation. Although I may just keep the danforth in the boat just in case

Fisherdv

I used the Fortress FX7 anchor today and it works great. Even in a pretty strong outgoing tide it held. My back thanks me :jester:

Fisherdv

I've anchored many times now with my 16 SC and I'll say again, dropping the anchor from the side, then tying a loop in the rope (after enough line is out), then walk the rope around the side of the boat till it's in the front, then reach through middle windshield and put the loop over the bow cleat. I do not use the bow roller, just the cleat. Retrieving is the reverse, then pull up anchor from the side on the deck, and feed your rope into your anchor bucket. Very easy! Sorry if I'm repeating myself I just wanted to describe it a little better for those who may wanna try it.

Yachter Yat

Fisher:   I'm telling you man; from the way you describe your anchoring technique, you should make that tether I talked about.  It would be so much easier.  Again:  About a 15 foot length of 1/2" line with 2 eye splices.  Hook to the cleat and go through the roller.  The line simply rests along the walkway and secured in the boat when not in use.  The end that goes overboard has a spring loaded carabiner on the eye splice.   

Throw the anchor out to the necessary length, tie a quick loop in the anchor line and click-it into the carabiner.  Throw the tether over. The balance of anchor line not used simply stays in the boat.  When retrieving, power forward till the tether comes along side and pick it up.  No going forward through the windshield, around canvas bows, etc., etc.  Easy. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Yat, when dropping or powering forward do you run the risk of that caribiner scratching along the side of your gel coat? Where do you clip or secure it inside the boat? Also the way I describe there is no going through the windshield, simply reaching forward to the bow cleat