News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

21 anger ,wavey looking down the hull , normal ?

Started by SeaSquire, March 06, 2015, 06:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaSquire

Help me out guys, I'm looking at this 21 ranger and looking down the hull from stern or from the bow at the point where the molding and the top side of the gunwale meet  , it looks awfully wavy ? is this normal. It just doesn't look right.
  It is the one thing about this boat this  boat that gives me cold feet about buying it.
  whats your thoughts on this ,should it even be a concern ?   

La-Z-Buoy

Might help if you could get us a picture. Does it look like that on both sides? Have you looked at other glass boats the same way and is this one markedly different? Sorry just not clear on what you are seeing. I don't know how fiberglass hulls are constructed so don't really know what's "supposed" to look normal. If it's not cracked or beat up or bulging out  :shrug9: ?
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

SeaSquire

When your eye down the gunwale along the point where the top and the side meet . Where the
bumper strip would be ? At that point it has a wavy look to the side of the hull . I asked one of the guys about it and he said it was form the mold. They said when you start making bigger glass boats its normal . I see it in the graty's but not as noticeable as in the Arima and the smaller Arima did'nt have it as much.

FINREAPER

I've noticed it on my 17' as well. I think it has to do with them being hand made. No two boats are the exact same, and little imperfections might stand out.
17 SR Chicken Hawk of The Sea

Markshoreline

May also be due to the torque or loosening of the screws in the rub rail which can be easily repaired.  I can't imagine that minor undulation would mean there's any failure in the hull.  The 21 is a fine boat and hard to find!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

HemiGTX

As a 'car guy', the waves in my arima are god-awful and drive me crazy.  I avoid looking down the hull for that reason.  When I do, I have to fight an overwhelming urge to block out (block sand) the hull.

To continue my car analogy, the waves on my boat could be removed with block sanding.  If the boat that you're looking at has waves bigger than that, then that may be a different matter entirely.  But I suspect that what you're seeing is well within the norm.
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

bluearima

I bought my boat new and it had them and still has a wave look on the left side about  at 1/4 th of the of the way in looking from the back. Never had any kind of problem from it.I will look at  some of the pictures that I took while it was being built to see if its  on them.

wedocq

I think I know what you are talking about. I notice my "wave" more when the boat is all shiny.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Markshoreline

2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

strokersquid

OK now I'm gonna have to look at my SR 21 and see if it " waves " back

blindmonkey

I am with you hemigtx. If my 67  Camaro had the waves in it that the sides of my Chaser does I would be very unhappy. As noted the more polished the surface the more variations in reflections are easily seen 
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Yachter Yat

I once saw a 17 Arima that looked like that.  I recall wondering if it could have been caused by the hull being removed from the mold too soon.........meaning the glass was not allowed to cure for an adequate amount of time. 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

SeaSquire

Well thanks guys that helps  :arms: this much it just looks like S.
I just would like my boat to look Sharp and not like the other s . cuz the ladies and the fish like sharp lookin boats .you guys are awesome. thanks