News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Ham Radio?

Started by GregE, September 12, 2020, 10:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregE

Ordered the 13.8 V transformer- thanks.  that link has 0 left but found another.

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

GregE

Greg
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

StreamFixer

My Anytone Instig8R (cheap chinese) easily reaches repeater on Mt. Hood (60 miles +/-) from in the house.  Just about any HT will reach the repeater you are reaching for unless solid stone cliff in the way.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

GregE

Talked with Lee, Fishmeister yesterday and got some more info.

Decided I needed a HT with dc charge capability for traveling and boating and there are very few of those not Chinese built.

Ordered the Japanese Yaesu FT 70DR.  It's digital dual band and with more features than my basic need but... It will let me call the mobile in the truck or house if when I move it.

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/ysu-ft-70dr

Greg

fishmiester

Nice handheld Gregg, and not a bad price. Have you programed any repeaters in yet? I programed mine in with the computer program Chirp. Easier and faster. I would offer to come over and do it for you, but when my laptop copped an attitude a while back, I lost the program. I a need a new laptop, but since I use my phone for just about everything any more, I havnt bought one. Good luck and keep on keepin on.
Lee
If it swims, Ill  chase it
84 17' Seachaser, 2010 90hp Tohatsu tldi, BF15 Honda Custom welded kicker bracket.#lovethisboat

Mooch

Thanks to Greg and Kim, I'm in for the win.   :party017:    KJ7SJL 

On FCC Form 605, I noticed Schedule B (Ship Radio Service) section with the following:

You must obtain an FCC Ship Radio Station License if you answer 'Y' to any of the following questions. You must answer 'Y' or 'N' to each item.

Item 3:  Enter 'Y' if you have marine radio equipment on board your vessel other than marine VHF radios, EPIRBs (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon), and radar.

Item 4 Enter the appropriate letter for the type of authorization desired.
Enter 'R' if the type of license is regular (transmitter(s) to be used on 1 vessel only).
Enter 'P' if the type of license is portable (a single transmitter will be used on various U.S. registered vessels).

Aside from your ham license are you guys registering for a Ship Radio Station License too?  I understand getting a "R" license for a mobile unit installed on the boat, but do you register for a "P" license to operate a HT on the boat if you're also using it on land?  Or do you just use /MM with call sign and call it good on the water?  Just trying to figure this out and keep gubment happy too.

Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

fishmiester

Mooch congrats on the liscense. I don't know if the requirements you posted are for for ham radio afloat or not. I have not filled any of those forms out, but I could be operating out of compliance while transmitting on the boat. Maybe fixer will chime in and help us out. I use mine all the time, and have never heard from the f.c.c. or anybody yet. What area are you in? I fish LaPush a lot, and also Neah Bay and Sekiu. There are a couple of good repeaters to use in those areas. I live in Raymond, and
am fortunate to have about 5 repeaters I can use.
If it swims, Ill  chase it
84 17' Seachaser, 2010 90hp Tohatsu tldi, BF15 Honda Custom welded kicker bracket.#lovethisboat

Mooch

Quote from: fishmiester on November 23, 2020, 10:01:20 AM
Mooch congrats on the liscense. I don't know if the requirements you posted are for for ham radio afloat or not. I have not filled any of those forms out, but I could be operating out of compliance while transmitting on the boat. Maybe fixer will chime in and help us out. I use mine all the time, and have never heard from the f.c.c. or anybody yet. What area are you in? I fish LaPush a lot, and also Neah Bay and Sekiu. There are a couple of good repeaters to use in those areas. I live in Raymond, and
am fortunate to have about 5 repeaters I can use.

Fishmeister,
I'm 50/50 North Kitsap and Westport area with annual trips to LP, NB and CQ.  Haven't sorted out best repeaters for any of these areas yet.  Any recommendations would certainly be helpful.  Not doing much TX at this point, so will probably fly like you for the time being.  Thnx.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

jaunty

I thought this was really interesting information--the marine/HAM equivalent frequencies.

https://radiofreeq.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/frs_gmrs_pmr_murs_bus_marine_wx_ham_2013f_print.png

I am studying for my license and thought it might be a good idea to keep a ham handheld as a backup emergency to my marine vhf.
That regulation doesn't seem exactly clear. hmm
1986 17 SeaChaser
2018 Yamaha F90

StreamFixer

An opinion:
If you are in a life threatening emergency, FCC looks the other way...  That being said, it does need to be a verifiable life threatening emergency...  Marine frequencies are more likely to be monitored than HAM frequencies.

If you just want to 'chew the rag' so to speak, Ham would be good, however, unless you have someone listening to your frequency (such as other boats) the marine bands still better bet.  The HAM rfrequencies do not cover anymore range than marine.

Your mileage may vary
StreamFixer
(W7SFR) Extra
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

jaunty

Quote from: StreamFixer on January 17, 2021, 09:06:27 AM
The HAM rfrequencies do not cover anymore range than marine.

I'm confused by this statement.
Don't the marine channels (1-80 or so) only span the 156-157 Mhz range?
While the ham can cover VHF (136-174), UHF (400-520)?

1986 17 SeaChaser
2018 Yamaha F90

StreamFixer

I am referring to range (distance) of reception.  Once you are over the horizon from the transmitter/receiver, the laws of physics that govern VHF prevail...  You are not likely to hear, or be heard, on a HAM frequency any further away than Marine...  In fact less likely as boats closer to you will not likely be monitoring HAM frequencies... 

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

jaunty

Ah I gotcha!
Well, fwiw marine safety channel 16 is 156.800 so anyone could just transmit there, and hopefully someone hears it.
1986 17 SeaChaser
2018 Yamaha F90

StreamFixer

Quote from: jaunty on January 17, 2021, 11:29:07 AM
Quote from: StreamFixer on January 17, 2021, 09:06:27 AM
The HAM rfrequencies do not cover anymore range than marine.

I'm confused by this statement.
Don't the marine channels (1-80 or so) only span the 156-157 Mhz range?
While the ham can cover VHF (136-174), UHF (400-520)?

The following is a bit on the technical side, and I suspect most of you could not care less.  However, in the interests of clarity, and to avoid any confusion from the above statement, let me offer the following:.

Anyone may monitor (listen to) any frequency.  However, there are restrictions on what frequencies you can transmit on.

In the VHF bands (generally known as 2 meter) Amateur Radio operators (HAM's) are only allowed to transmit on frequencies between 144.0 & 148 MHz.  Frequencies above 148 are reserved for commercial,  marine and other use.  Those frequencies are generally assigned to specific users such a marine, search and rescue, emergency responders, state and federal agencies, the list goes on. 

In the UHF bands (400-520 MHz), HAM license holders may only transmit on frequencies between 420 and 450 MHZ.

StreamFixer aka W7SFR (extra class)   :stooges:

'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade