News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Rust spot

Started by KEM KAI, April 25, 2024, 09:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEM KAI

Have some rust spots, what is the best way to remove them?

KEM KAI

Sorry need to clarify.  The spots are on the fiberglass area.  Tried scrubbing but not enough. Thanks for any suggestions.

AP

I've had good luck with Star Brite "Rust Stain Remover".

Ed De Explorer

I used this stuff to help remove some bottom paint.

https://www.westmarine.com/sunnyside-corp.-aqua-strip-paint-stripper-quart-4563060.html?queryID=f3174388cef9f84398fdc759cdb3b685&objectID=4563060&indexName=production_na01_westmarine_demandware_net__WestMarine__products__en_US

Then my boat got bumped in the sekiu marina and the blue from the other boat would not come off by hand, this took it off quick.

I then tried it on some rust areas and again took it right off.

Do not use it if your boat is painted or it will take that off too.

Ed
Ed
91 Sea Explorer 16'

Tom C

Barkeeper's Friend

Fisherdv

2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

KEM KAI

Thanks for the info.

croaker stroker

"Whink"  they sell it for toilet bowls, so you can find it where plumbing supplies are sold. I think I got it at ACE Hardware. 

Gloves, mask, and eye protection is a must.

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=18266.msg215458#msg215458
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

KEM KAI

Will try it this weekend.  Found it at my hardware store, but also found out my supermarket(Safeway/Vons) carries it.

Nanserbe

Another vote for Whink. It works great!

It is hydroflouric acid so use it with caution. Just let it sit on there and over about 10 minutes you'll notice it fading away. Keep the area you have the stains on wet with it. Don't let it get on your galvanized trailer or your bottom paint (if you have it)
2003 19' Sea Ranger HT
2015 Honda BF115
2015 Yamaha T9.9

christianbrat

wax after acid washing
1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

Old No7

Quote from: christianbrat on April 26, 2024, 04:29:35 PMwax after acid washing

Rinse it -- rinse it -- rinse it -- rinse it -- and rinse it again, after acid washing.

And don't forget to rinse it!

Old No7
"A bad day on an Arima, is better than a good day at work!"