News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Last ditch effort! Looking for boat ho's for halibut 5/26 Westport, WA

Started by wedocq, May 25, 2022, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedocq

Well crap! I had a halibut trip planned to leave this afternoon to Westport, WA to fish tomorrow. My crew fell apart! One buddy had a family emergency, and shortly after that, my other buddy texts me and says he thinks he has Shingles. UGH! Who wants a new best fishing buddy? I am looking for anyone that wants to split costs and fish halibut on May 26th. I don't care who you are! Old, young, male, female or even Russ. A crew of 4 is doable. A crew of 3 is ideal. a crew of 2? You better know what the heck you're doing! haha, let's go fishing!  :beerchug:

I just went Saturday, so I can tell you nearly exact costs:
Fuel for the boat: 50ish gallons= $250
Bait: $25

If you ride with me, fuel for the truck: $150

If we leave today and get a camp spot: $45

We can day trip it tomorrow, or leave today and get a camp spot.  I have decent #'s that are about 30 miles out for lings and halibut. I have GREAT numbers that are about 35 miles out for Sablefish (Black Cod). I have suspension seats for 2, a jump seat and a bean bag. First come, first served.
-Shawn

CRISIS AVERTED! I FOUND A DIFFERENT BOAT TO FISH ON!
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

AlexB

Wow. Burning 50 gallons in a day is no small feat on an Arima! How many miles is that? I still haven't managed to burn more than about 15 gallons for a day of fishing.  :shrug9:
Ramblin' Rose - 2018 SC19 w/ Honda BF150 and BF8

BayWolf

Looking at the costs... :bigshock:
   What's a pound of Halibut cost these days?

My little trout lake trips fit in my budget...
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

wedocq

Quote from: AlexB on May 26, 2022, 05:06:30 PM
Wow. Burning 50 gallons in a day is no small feat on an Arima! How many miles is that? I still haven't managed to burn more than about 15 gallons for a day of fishing.  :shrug9:

I fish out of Westport, WA. All the good halibut grounds are straight out at the edge of the Astoria Canyon which is about 40 miles. If those don't pay out, I have several sets of numbers that move progressively north. I looked a little closer at the last trip and I did roughly 120 miles and 40 gallons.

wedocq

Quote from: BayWolf on May 26, 2022, 06:31:37 PM
Looking at the costs... :bigshock:
   What's a pound of Halibut cost these days?

My little trout lake trips fit in my budget...

When I went and bought herring for bait at Uwajimaya in Renton the price for halibut filets were $28.99/ lb! We also caught 10 Black Cod, and the price per pound for those were $21.99. I am not sure what the market price is for lingcod or seabass, but I am telling right now, we came out ahead!

-Shawn

beancounter

Glad you got some groceries to shove down your neck Shawn.  :beerchug:

croaker stroker

In California, it is against the law to require payment for a fishing trip unless you are licensed to charter. Sometimes the the DFW agents ask boat Ho's at the ramp.... "Were you asked to pay for gas or bait?" 
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

BayWolf

Quote from: croaker stroker on May 27, 2022, 10:50:36 AM

In California, it is against the law to require payment for a fishing trip unless you are licensed to charter. Sometimes the the DFW agents ask boat Ho's at the ramp.... "Were you asked to pay for gas or bait?"

There's a difference between being "charged" to go fishing and asking someone to cost share a trip.  If the person is footing almost the entire cost and the Capt. is not covering an equal amount then that's  a business deal.  I know a lot of guys that could not afford to make big trips if not for buddies willing to cost share. 

Of course, you always have that "turd" that wants a free trip and doesn't even offer to stick around and help with the wash down.  (One and done for those guys)
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

wedocq

Quote from: croaker stroker on May 27, 2022, 10:50:36 AM

I believe it used to be that way around here! Legally we are only allowed to split costs.

wedocq

So I ended up fishing with a buddy (5 guys total) on a 30' Grady White Marlin that has twin 250's on it. What a sweet ride! We burnt about 150 gallons for the day.  :bigshock:  :doh: My portion for fuel, gear and bait was over $200. It was a beautiful day on the water and I am still coming out ahead in the grocery bill department!  :party017: :cha: :mememe:
-Shawn

Ko Ho

Factoring in the cost of my boat and maintenance, I don't think I'll ever catch enough fish to come out "ahead". But I'm having fun trying! I'm guessing Tunacious is the only guy coming out ahead.
2006 17 Sea Chaser, Twin Yamaha 40's

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Kimbrey

Quote from: wedocq on May 27, 2022, 11:25:13 AM
So I ended up fishing with a buddy (5 guys total) on a 30' Grady White Marlin that has twin 250's on it. What a sweet ride! We burnt about 150 gallons for the day.  :bigshock:  :doh: My portion for fuel, gear and bait was over $200. It was a beautiful day on the water and I am still coming out ahead in the grocery bill department!  :party017: :cha: :mememe:
-Shawn
Holy schmolly.....150 gallons!!!!
I did the further North area so about 40 miles. Three crab pot runs two of which were Ocean Shores in the bay, one in the Ocean on the North side.  Got a really late start (noonish) on our second attempt at halibut because my buddy had a Zoom meeting he had to attend so we ran and fished the South bowl.  Plus several back and forth runs doing a sea trial with the Furuno guys...........77 gallons of diesel.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround