News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Halfmoon Bay

Started by ucosyak, May 27, 2021, 09:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ucosyak

I was thinking of dragging my rig up to Halfmoon Bay this weekend..
Anyone fishing out of there?  Planning on going Sat or Sunday May 29/30 if interested in buddy boating let me know.   I plan to do some bounce balling for halibut or rock fishing perhaps. Maybe drop crab pots if I'm not too lazy to re-rig for shallow water.
Josefina - 1988 Sea Ranger 17 Skip Top -' 2006 Honda 90, 2016 Honda 9.9

Habberdasher

Halfmoon bay will be one of the places we will return to when the boarders open back up loved the area  and inn
I think it was called Three Sisters?
1988 Sea Hunter 60 Suzuki 5hp Mariner
1958 9 ft moulded birch 1958 3 hp Johnston and a 30 pound electric

agoodhi

Quote from: ucosyak on May 27, 2021, 09:29:16 AM
Anyone fishing out of there?  Planning on going Sat or Sunday May 29/30 if interested in buddy boating let me know.   I plan to do some bounce balling for halibut or rock fishing perhaps. Maybe drop crab pots if I'm not too lazy to re-rig for shallow water.
Since salmon is closed up north, I haven't been launching there lately.  Still waiting for a good day to make the long run south from there for Salmon.  Might still be early for halibut, but you never know till you try.  Last time I crabbed out there, I dropped in 150-200 fow, but it has been really slow for crabs this season.  I will mostly likely launch out of Moss to chase salmon this weekend.
'04 SR 17 | '04 Yami F115 (Apollo XHS SS 13-3/8x15) | SeaStar HC5345 | '22 Suzuki DF9.9 | OTH Pilothouse | FishOn River/Sport Arch | Lenco 9x12 tabs | Garmin Stuff | Pacific Trailer

ucosyak

Quote from: agoodhi on May 27, 2021, 10:43:37 AM
Quote from: ucosyak on May 27, 2021, 09:29:16 AM
Since salmon is closed up north, I haven't been launching there lately.  Still waiting for a good day to make the long run south from there for Salmon.  Might still be early for halibut, but you never know till you try.  Last time I crabbed out there, I dropped in 150-200 fow, but it has been really slow for crabs this season.  I will mostly likely launch out of Moss to chase salmon this weekend.

thats great intel thanks..    I will be in San Carlos or I would join ya at Moss for Salmon..   Moss is an hour or so South..   but I might consider if Halfmoon Bay only has rockfish and deep crab to offer...

cheers

agoodhi

Quote from: ucosyak on May 27, 2021, 10:54:31 AM

thats great intel thanks..    I will be in San Carlos or I would join ya at Moss for Salmon..   Moss is an hour or so South..   but I might consider if Halfmoon Bay only has rockfish and deep crab to offer...

cheers
There's always butts in the bay, and if you're lucky, WSB.  You can buy live bait at J&P in SF.  You can launch at Oyster Point, not far from San Carlos.
'04 SR 17 | '04 Yami F115 (Apollo XHS SS 13-3/8x15) | SeaStar HC5345 | '22 Suzuki DF9.9 | OTH Pilothouse | FishOn River/Sport Arch | Lenco 9x12 tabs | Garmin Stuff | Pacific Trailer

ucosyak

Quote from: agoodhi on May 27, 2021, 12:37:50 PM

cheers
There's always butts in the bay, and if you're lucky, WSB.  You can buy live bait at J&P in SF.  You can launch at Oyster Point, not far from San Carlos.

Thank you for that..    I just checked in with some local guys at Half moon Bay and they don't like the forecast for Sat / Sunday so I might be looking at Oyster Point to launch instead.   I don't know my arse from my elbow when it comes to SF Bay so I'll have to research where to crab/fish exactly...

thanks again..

James Houston

Check out coastsidefishingclub.com  Most anything you'll need in and around HMB can be found there.
1995 19' Sea Ranger
135hp Honda
9.9hp Honda
   Miss A.D.

bml376

I will be out at Halfmoon Bay tomorrow, Friday 5/28 along with Mijo (also on the forums here).  We will be there in my 19' SR HT.  The forecast for tomorrow looks like it should be good, just before it gets bad for the weekend.  Will anyone else be out there tomorrow?  I'll post an update after our trip.
2021 Sea Ranger HT 19'

agoodhi

Quote from: bml376 on May 27, 2021, 07:33:52 PM

I will be out at Halfmoon Bay tomorrow, Friday 5/28 along with Mijo (also on the forums here).  We will be there in my 19' SR HT.  The forecast for tomorrow looks like it should be good, just before it gets bad for the weekend.  Will anyone else be out there tomorrow?  I'll post an update after our trip.
Are you guys gonna make the long run down to PP for salmon?

bml376

Quote from: agoodhi on May 27, 2021, 07:36:18 PM
Are you guys gonna make the long run down to PP for salmon?

No.  The plan is to go for rockfish.  For now, going down to PP from Halfmoon Bay is outside my comfort zone.  Slowly working my way up to that point.
2021 Sea Ranger HT 19'

Norcalfish80

Quote from: ucosyak on May 27, 2021, 02:13:15 PM

cheers

Thank you for that..    I just checked in with some local guys at Half moon Bay and they don't like the forecast for Sat / Sunday so I might be looking at Oyster Point to launch instead.   I don't know my arse from my elbow when it comes to SF Bay so I'll have to research where to crab/fish exactly...

thanks again..
Can't retain dungeness in sf bay fwiw. Good luck out there!
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

ucosyak

Quote from: Norcalfish80 on May 28, 2021, 02:23:27 PM
Quote from: ucosyak on May 27, 2021, 02:13:15 PM

cheers

thanks again..
Can't retain dungeness in sf bay fwiw. Good luck out there!

Good lookin out!  :beerchug:   my research quickly lead me to this info about the crabbin..    also found out there is decent halibut fishing right off of Oyster Point and further into the bay..  I'm looking forward to it..

bml376

We had a great time today at Halfmoon Bay.  The conditions were amazing.  We had to work to get the fish, but we ended up with 1 fish short of a two person limit of rockfish.
2021 Sea Ranger HT 19'

agoodhi

Nice work!!!   :clap:

Why's the parking lot so empty?

agoodhi

Quote from: ucosyak on May 28, 2021, 03:24:05 PM
also found out there is decent halibut fishing right off of Oyster Point and further into the bay..  I'm looking forward to it..

Don't forget to bring exact amount of cash to launch there (no cc accepted).  I think it's $12.

bml376

Quote from: agoodhi on May 28, 2021, 06:08:53 PM
Nice work!!!   :clap:

Why's the parking lot so empty?

Not sure why it was so empty.  Perhaps because it was Friday?
2021 Sea Ranger HT 19'

mijo

Ya we were surprised how empty it was for a Friday too. Usually there would be at least a dozen or so boats on any given weekday. It was really fun fishing with Bml on his 19ht. The conditions were great. Calm seas. Here's my portion. The ling was 24". Thanks for letting me fish with you Bml.
Sea Chaser 19SC, 115 Yamaha

crazyfisher

Beautiful boat bml376!

I made that long haul from HMB to PP in my sea hunter. Coming back with high swell took 3 hrs :-( going there wasn't bad. Went almost 60 miles round trip. Had to refuel 6 miles from harbor. I always bring extra fuel just in case. We were rewarded with 4 great size salmon. Crabbing was slow with 7 pot soaking for 8 hrs. We got 11 dungie and 12 rock crab. This was on 5.15.21

Hmb the parking is so dang far from the ramp lol salmon opener later this month will be extremely crowded.

James Houston

Quote from: crazyfisher on June 01, 2021, 10:00:05 PM
Beautiful boat bml376!

I made that long haul from HMB to PP in my sea hunter. Coming back with high swell took 3 hrs :-( going there wasn't bad. Went almost 60 miles round trip. Had to refuel 6 miles from harbor. I always bring extra fuel just in case. We were rewarded with 4 great size salmon. Crabbing was slow with 7 pot soaking for 8 hrs. We got 11 dungie and 12 rock crab. This was on 5.15.21

Hmb the parking is so dang far from the ramp lol salmon opener later this month will be extremely crowded.
200 - 300 yards is far?
1995 19' Sea Ranger
135hp Honda
9.9hp Honda
   Miss A.D.

christianbrat

1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

christianbrat

Park all the way at the top of the parking lot and take the stairs next to the crosswalk back up.  Faster than walking up the driveway to the entrance.  If you're not launched and parked by 5:00 for opener you will most likely be parking on HWY1 :(
Built not Bought

crazyfisher

Quote from: James Houston on June 01, 2021, 10:39:35 PM
Beautiful boat bml376!

200 - 300 yards is far?

Hey James. We exchange text last year when I was looking for an arima. Same screen name as coastside?

It was my first time launching there. Its further than I was expecting. I didn't see the stairs when I launched in the dark but saw it when I came back in.

Jon

agoodhi

Quote from: christianbrat on June 02, 2021, 08:28:03 AMIf you're not launched and parked by 5:00 for opener you will most likely be parking on HWY1 :(
That's when I strike with the kayak and limit before the PB launch   :party017:

christianbrat

Quote from: agoodhi on June 02, 2021, 05:05:39 PM
Quote from: christianbrat on June 02, 2021, 08:28:03 AMIf you're not launched and parked by 5:00 for opener you will most likely be parking on HWY1 :(

I'm in if you're in!!!
Built not Bought

crazyfisher

Quote from: agoodhi on June 02, 2021, 05:05:39 PM

Let's do it 👍 need you to come salmon fishing in bolinas with me lol

Okay getting off topic lol