News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Rust Stain Removal

Started by croaker stroker, March 14, 2020, 12:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

I used this stuff to remove bad rust stains in my fiberglass. This is a strong acid, so take the precautions on the container...wear eye protection, gloves. Do not breathe fumes. Try a small inconspicuous area first.

This did not affect my gelcoat, but again...try a small inconspicuous area first.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

La-Z-Buoy

Good to know. Thanks. Looks like it's available everywhere and reasonable price.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

xplorz

Great results! Thanks for posting.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

digitalfella

Ever used Davis FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover)?   The active ingredient is oxalic acid and it is hot enough to make you want to wear gloves, but nothing crazy.  It has worked well for me over the years.   Just curious how it might compare?

DF
1982 Sea Chaser 17', 75hp Honda, 8hp Honda
Retired boat repair guy, located in Anacortes, WA.

croaker stroker

Quote from: digitalfella on March 14, 2020, 04:52:50 PM
Ever used Davis FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover)?   The active ingredient is oxalic acid and it is hot enough to make you want to wear gloves, but nothing crazy.  It has worked well for me over the years.   Just curious how it might compare?

DF

Looks like Whink has a different ingredient. Probably not recommended for fiberglass?  My gelcoat is old and hard and no gloss, so I had no issues. That's why I say try it on a small inconspicuous area first. My stains were severe so this was the strongest rust remover I could find.

https://bigcatrescue.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Whink-Rust-Stain-Remover.pdf

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

digitalfella

Older FG with no wax or gloss is the worst.  Grease, rust, or anything similar just soaks right into it well below the surface.  TSP floor cleaner with either heavy Scotchbright  or 600grit is another option but you will need to buff afterwards with compound.

DF
1982 Sea Chaser 17', 75hp Honda, 8hp Honda
Retired boat repair guy, located in Anacortes, WA.

AJFishin

If you run out of Whink pick up "The Works", $2 at Home Depot, does a great job on cleaning the rust stains and other stains off of boats.

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

croaker stroker

"the Works" SDS says "Hydrochloric Acid"  (swimming pool acid ?)

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

GregE

I use FSR, layer it on and let sit for a while.  Fingers will feel greasy if no gloves and the fumes can be irritating. 
It gets TUNA blood out and nothing much is tougher
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Old Chaser

anybody try the starbrite rust remover: ive only used this twice and was totally satisfied, especially no scrubbing just spray on and repeat as needed -used it in the bathroom also. no scrubing

Megabytez

I'll have to try this year! Thanks for posting this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danno

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on March 14, 2020, 05:15:40 PM
Quote from: digitalfella on March 14, 2020, 04:52:50 PM

DF

Looks like Whink has a different ingredient. Probably not recommended for fiberglass?  My gelcoat is old and hard and no gloss, so I had no issues. That's why I say try it on a small inconspicuous area first. My stains were severe so this was the strongest rust remover I could find.

https://bigcatrescue.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Whink-Rust-Stain-Remover.pdf

Oxalic acid is one of the more common rust stain removers because it works well on light stains.

Wink uses a very low concentration of hydrofluoric (HF) acid which is a very strong acid. Stronger than hydrochloric. So much so that concentrated HF should not be stored in glass containers. Wink aklso contains Denatonium Benzoate which was a new, but widely used, chemcial to me. It has a number of interesting uses that I learned about ion Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatonium. My guess is it is used in wink to get children to spit it out before the HF does a number on the kid.

Hydrochloric acid (HCL) is used in pools and will eat cement even in rust removing concentrations as I suspect the HF will as well.

For light rust stains, I would start with oxalic acid based rust removers.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

headduck

Baking soda is really nice to have around to neutralize spilled acid.

I remember in chem classes we had a fairly stout mixture in spray bottle. (Baking soda and water) Dont apply powder directly.

It will bubble a bit as it releases CO2 (every TV show elementary school volcano science experiment, with vinegar and baking soda) so be careful not to replicate and allow plenty of ventilation.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

BigMac

Quote from: GregE on March 15, 2020, 12:13:04 AM
I use FSR, layer it on and let sit for a while.  Fingers will feel greasy if no gloves and the fumes can be irritating. 
Be sure to wear gloves and eye protection when using products containing oxalic acid like FSR.  I like this gel base preparation because application is more controllable than the liquid ones.  This also works well removing the brown stain on fiberglass exposed to Columbia R. water, known locally as the Columbia River Crud.

AJFishin

Quote from: BigMac on March 27, 2020, 09:42:10 AM
Quote from: GregE on March 15, 2020, 12:13:04 AM
Be sure to wear gloves and eye protection when using products containing oxalic acid like FSR.  I like this gel base preparation because application is more controllable than the liquid ones.  This also works well removing the brown stain on fiberglass exposed to Columbia R. water, known locally as the Columbia River Crud.

I was wearing gloves and glasses, but I had a small scrape on my arm and I got just a tiny bit of The Works cleaner on it and it felt like my arm was on fire. But quickly I washed it off with soap and water and all was good, fast lesson learned, wear protective coverings :doh:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser