News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Seeking advise

Started by DGR008, May 25, 2012, 08:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGR008

Thanks for having me on this Forum. I live in Virginia and have been considering purchasing a Sea Explorer, but they seem to be rare on this coast. I have found one in Pennsylvania that is a 99 with a 50 HP Honda 4 stroke with 150 hrs on the motor. The boat has only been used in fresh water and looks like new! The other is a 2000 model in South East North Carolina with a 75 HP Honda with 110 hrs on it.
This has been a salt water boat, but appears to have been well maintained. My question is do you think the 99 with a 50 hp motor is going to be under powered? There is about a $2K price difference between the boats. I also have a question about a kicker motor. I have a 20 hp Honda long shaft that weighs 108 lbs. Would this be too much motor/weight for a Sea Explorer. Thanks for your input.
Dave
DGR 008
True North

Vancouvertechie

DGR008!  Welcome aboard!

I don't know about the 99 with the 50 hp, but I do know about the one in NC with the 75hp.  An older lady owns the boat and the price is not firm.  The last time I spoke with the guy at the lot is that the carbs need to be gone through from sitting. 

I think either boat would be fine, but I would put smart tabs on the one with the 50 for now.  A 20 HP Honda is too much in my opinion for that boat.  I would sell it and get a nice 8 hp or 6 hp motor.  With the 20 it would be hard to get down to 1 mph to lake troll if that is what you want to do. 

Oh wait, I just remembered about the other one.  Is that the boat in the boattrader?  That boat has been online for a while too.  If you want more info on what they told me for a price send me a message.

VT
2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

DGR008

Thanks for the reply VT. Yes I believe the 99 is listed on Boat Trader. The dealership selling it is in Duncannon, PA. T/A Big Bee Boats.
When I first looked at it they told me that the compression was 120psi in all three cyl. I told them that was way low. Honda said 185-200 psi was acceptable. It scared me off, but they said they rechecked the compression at WOT and now report that the compression is acceptable. I'd be curious to hear what they told you about price, etc as well as anything else you know about the NC boat.
Dave
DGR 008
True North

StreamFixer

I guess my education is somewhat lacking.  Only been working on motors for 50 some years and am still learning (I don't mess with anything that needs a computer to work on it).

Not that I want to know how, just want to know if (as a practical matter) you can check compression at Wide Open Throttle?????  I have never heard of that before and obviously not seen it done.   :shrug9:

Seems to me if compression is too low using the normal check method, the compression is too low....  End of discussion.

I'd be really leery of an outfit that would tell somebody that it checks out OK at WOT......

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

woody

Not sure Russ, think it might be one of those new compression meters with a built in spark plug.

Or something.

Woody

DGR008

That's the way Honda does it. The hose on the compression gauge screws into the spark plug hole and the engine is turned over with the throttle wide open and the ignition disconnected. It sounds werd , but thats the way Honda and several other Japanese OB makers set out their test procedures.
DGR 008
True North

StreamFixer

Live and learn....

I'd still stick with the old methods....  But then again, I'm an old fart...  Almost as old as Woody, but certainly not as old as BigMac....  Not by a long shot....
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

strokersquid

I have never heard of not checking compression with a wide open throttle. I have been checking compression for 40 odd years now on cars, bikes, and jetskis. when the mechanic checked my Merc he did it wfo. otherwise if you are not wfo you would not get the highest number possible, which is what you are after. there can be a difference cold vs hot. i usually check both. also some do it with the plugs in but i do it with the other plugs out.

strokersquid

Quote from: DGR008 on May 25, 2012, 08:58:42 PM
Thanks for having me on this Forum. I live in Virginia and have been considering purchasing a Sea Explorer, but they seem to be rare on this coast. I have found one in Pennsylvania that is a 99 with a 50 HP Honda 4 stroke with 150 hrs on the motor. The boat has only been used in fresh water and looks like new! The other is a 2000 model in South East North Carolina with a 75 HP Honda with 110 hrs on it.
This has been a salt water boat, but appears to have been well maintained. My question is do you think the 99 with a 50 hp motor is going to be under powered? There is about a $2K price difference between the boats. I also have a question about a kicker motor. I have a 20 hp Honda long shaft that weighs 108 lbs. Would this be too much motor/weight for a Sea Explorer. Thanks for your input.
Dave wow a 20 HP kicker ! you could troll on plane !

woody

Stroker:

Double check instructions for compression checks,  Most recommendations are remove all plugs (a few say only the tested cylinder).  Then open the choke WIDE and the throttle WIDE for your check.

Chasing this down I found that recommendation is to insure (especially on two strokes) that there is plenty of fuel/and or/oil to lubricate the cylinder during check to prevent scaring of wall.

Of course, pull your lanyard on kill switch.

Have to admit most of our experience is with autos, not a two stroke (fuel/oil mix) and my dad taught me to always put a touch of oil in the plug hole on cars.

Woody

wedocq

You guys are funny!  :jester: I have always been told to check compression at WOT. This allows the most air in, getting the most accurate reading.  Do a quick Youtube search on checking compression. I would be willing to bet every one of them regardless of engine (marine or auto) will tell you to check at WOT.  :twocents:
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

woody

That's one of the funny things about our memories wedocq ... if you don't do a task for a year or so things get a little foggy.  Can't absolutely remember throttle open, choke open, all plugs or the little details.

That's why it's nice these things are brought up every now and then to send us to Google and double check.  I'm willing to bet that most of the guys, including me, hit Google prior to any task ... just because ... we're getting a bit forgetful.  Our memories are really good ... just darn short..

Woody

wedocq

Woody,
I would be lost without Google! I search everything on Google. I use Google Earth, Google G-mail, Google Maps, Google Shopping, etc... :doh:
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

woody

Hmmmmmm,

I was going to add something to this blog ... but ... hmmmm ... what were we talking about????

Woody

croaker stroker

Like SF, based on 50 years experience, I've never worried about opening the throttle. If there is a bad cylinder, it will show up with, or without the throttle being open. IMO

....And I'm still having problems learning to type with my thumbs.  :shrug9:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

DGR008

:arms: Thanks for all of your comments guys!
DGR 008
True North

vxhatch

Quote from: wedocq on May 26, 2012, 01:53:54 PM
Woody,
I would be lost without Google! I search everything on Google. I use Google Earth, Google G-mail, Google Maps, Google Shopping, etc... :doh:
-Shawn

Yeah me too. My friends always ask how I know how to do this or that... I tell them google  :biggrin:
2001 22' SeaSport Sportsman